• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Android is not winning the American and Japanese market?

I think you'll find this is a blip due to the fact the iP5 was launched so close to the holiday season. Apple sales always peak in the months right after a launch because so many Apple-ites have been holding out for the new model.

The picture was probably also distorted by the fact that no major Android player released anything really new (the N4 can't really count, given the lack of stock).

In the whole of 2012, Android was bigger than all other phone operating systems combined in the US (51.8%) and almost double the size of all other phone O/S combined in Japan (64%).

Think those percentages meet pretty much any reasonable definition of dominant.

The latest iPhone usually has the highest market share for an individual model in most markets, though the iP4S lost that briefly to the SIII in the months before the announcement of the iP5.

One of the many reasons why Apple's share price has dropped 30% in the last few months ..

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Don't know where you're getting your figures. Android is bigger than all other phone operating systems combined in the US (51.8%) and almost double the size of all other phone O/S combined in Japan (64%).

Think those percentages meet pretty much any reasonable definition of dominant.

The latest iPhone usually has the highest market share for an individual model in most markets, though the iP4S lost that briefly to the SIII in the months before the announcement of the iP5.

One of the many reasons why Apple's share price has dropped 30% in the last few months ..

I have provided my source, do you have source for your figure?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know how it is here. I was in the flagship China Mobile store this morning topping up my credit, and I was browsing what was available. 100% Android, well except for a few really cheap candybar phones in the corner. The world's largest carrier(China Mobile) doesn't do the iPhone, nor Windows Phone.

I think the iPhone sells reasonably well via China Unicom and from Apple, however it's expensive and you have to be quite rich to afford one. I saw a couple of Nokia Windows Phone handsets a few months ago, however they were expensive. and not seen them since. And I think RIM has given up here. AFAIK no carriers offer Blackberry service now, and I've not seen a single Blackberry phone in three years. Only three or four years ago Symbian was by far the market leader here, that's almost nowhere to be seen now. How fast things can change.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I can't even imagine what an iPhone costs in China, I just received a Newegg insider email offering an unlocked 16 gb iPhone 5 for $740 with a promo code. :rolleyes:

The 16GB iPhone 5 in China is around 5300RMB from Apple. Which is $844 USD. It used to be well over a $1000 bucks for a 16GB iPhone 4S. Many people only earn something like $200-$400 a month including the Foxconn employees who make the things.

And if you're a jobseeker in the PRC, it might be best not to show off your iPhone...
http://androidforums.com/lounge/657786-iphone-loosescandidate-job.html
A recent AF thread.

Upvote 0
Lots of publications are ridiculously pro-Apple - even the NYT.

It's hardly surprising though: generallys speaking journalists - even those reporting on things technical - are not techies and they work in one of the few corporate environments where Apple has had a presence for years.

When people are used to things, they tend to prefer them over new, different things.

Also, journos tend to only use computers for word processing and looking after pictures and music: a Mac is as good as anything else for such trivial tasks.

Upvote 0
Android has more market share in the US than apple. That's how its been the last several years. Apple is just more profitable

PC world is so pro apple products that I stopped reading that site ages ago.

The two biggest and most blatant apple fan boys are still Walt Mossberg and David Pogue. Anyone that knows how to read vertically and not just horizontally stopped listening to those two ages ago.

Upvote 0
The most glaring and obvious example of the ad disparity would be Verizons Droid DNA tv campaign, it shows the phone being an upgrade to you, doesn't even bring into play the devices amazing hardware on board, especially the HD display.

Yeah hopefully something is done about Verizon's marketing strategy because that commercial was a disaster if you ask me :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones