Why are "gmail" "email" and "messages" separate?

1. moveright

moveright Well-Known Member

Just curious, it's taking some serious getting used to this phone but I have a question about the messages box.

Why is it that I have an separate icon for GMAIL, EMAIL , and MESSAGES?

Why is Gmail separate from the "email" icon? and why can't I have my email and gmail as an icon in my messages box which currently houses the universal inbox, facebook, and twitter, and text messaging?

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Organiztion...;)

Gmail and Email are different. Email is for other services you use if Gmail isn't you forte.
    I dont know why anyone would want them cluttered together.
  3. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

You can check both your messages and email from the messages app. Only need the gmail and message apps on your home screen.
  4. moveright

moveright Well-Known Member

just would be nice if I could "move" the gmail app icon into the messages app.
  5. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

I like it separated. If I go into Gmail I know its personal, if I go into email I know its for work and messages are texts. Makes things simple.
    Lane likes this.
  6. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

Agreed.
  7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

One of my key gripes about Droid is no combined inbox...one area where Blackberry does it better - you can view email/gmail/whatever mail accounts separately or in a combined inbox.

Even more maddening, is the lack of a combined Gmail inbox...I have four Gmail accounts I like to check and have to look at each inbox separately. There really should be a combined inbox option for any Gmail accounts, at a minimum...
  8. Spirko

Spirko Member

You can read gmail within the Messaging app. In gmail on the web, enable IMAP access. Within Messaging on your Droid, go to Manage accounts and add another email account (not Google account). Entering your gmail address and password as the account info.
  9. Redflea

Yeah, I know about that work-around, but I'm enjoying my rant about the lack of what should be an obvious feature in the Gmail side - to have an umbrella view of all Gmails as well as account-by-account. :)

Seriously, I keep my personal and work email separate - Gmail accounts are personal, Exchange is work, and I don't want to mix work and personal, just want a way to see all my personal email from all four Gmail accounts in one place, w/out work emails mixed in.
  10. danwanna

danwanna Member

I have several Gmail accounts as well and got sick of having to switch back and forth in my D1 days. I configured my main account as the master and setup the others to automatically forward/archive. Inside the master account I setup automatic labels so I can tell which account received the message easily from within the Gmail app or the web.

I'm not sure if it helps in your case or not, but it worked great for me because I only send through a single address and use the others for incoming messages.

The other side benefit is that I only have one Gmail account receiving push notifications on my phone. I don't know if it really helps the battery, but it certainly can't hurt. :)
  11. Redflea

Interesting idea...the idea made me laugh, actually, as two of my Gmail accounts are really fronts for two old email accounts (road runner and hotmail) that I didn't want to bother to change, and wanted better spam filtering on, so those two are getting emails fowarded from other accounts already. So I'd be forwarding from Hotmail/RR to Gmail, and then from those Gmail accounts to a third "master" Gmail account.

I actually need to reply back to appear to be from the original accounts in question, so I don't think that approach will work for me. There is an option to select the account you're replying from in Gmail, that appears at the top of the message when you start a reply, but it disappears so quickly (due to some bug I assume) that it's not a usable option.

Google should just get off their arses and make me an integrated Gmail inbox...sheesh. :D
  12. Legacykid

Legacykid New Member

For some reason i cant get my schools email to connect with the D2, any suggestions?
    Also can i create another folder beside gmail and email(which has my yahoo account)
  13. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Need more details to be able to help you with the school email issue. Most schools have special settings that you need to use. Look on the schools website for any details about POP3 or IMAP email downloading.
  14. Legacykid

Legacykid New Member

dont seen anything in regards to what you suggested, it worked fine on my old BB Storm 2, cant seem to figure this out tho
  15. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

Exactly! It should be easy for that person to click the messaging mailbox (should be somewhere on the screen) :p and then whatever email accounts he/she has set up on the phone show as different icons (menu > settings > accounts > add account).

After clicking messaging mailbox I have it set to show this: AOL business, AOL personal, Gmail, Universal inbox & text messaging. AND each icon has the number of emails in the "in box" in a blue circle.

It's hard for it to be any easier - in my humble opinion :rolleyes:
  16. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

Send Google an email about your complaint/idea. The only way they may be aware of your gripe is by telling them about your issue(s).

Just my $.02...
  17. goodmojo

goodmojo New Member

I too want my gmail in one combined inbox with my other email. To do this, I

1. disabled sync of email on my regular google account
    2. added my gmail account separately as a new email account in the email app.
    3. In the email app, I choose the gmail account as my account to send from.
    Now, I never open the gmail app, just the email app. If there are drawbacks to this, let me know. I want to know if I'm missing out on something. So far, I'm satisfied.
  18. HopeMcCloud

HopeMcCloud Member

What is the mail address? I miss my universal in-box. Combined view is just not the same.
  19. umlguy

umlguy New Member

Other than the servers and protocol there is no difference between "email" and "gmail", they both help you handle non-real-time messages that you can respond to at your leasure. I would love for them to be combined into a single app. I have way too many accounts for various purposes and am constantly moving from email to gmail and back. The reason they are separated is really pretty arbitrary and non-nonsensical in my opinion. They serve the same purpose, please let me lump the message together!