Why are Smartphones Horrible Phones???

Last Updated:

1. elknrut

elknrut Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone tell me why smartphones are great for everything except being a phone. I struggled with 2 HTC Evos for about a month. Really poor call quality, earpiece was crap(tinny,blown speaker sound) finally returned it and went back to my Samsung Exclaim for the time being. Wow, what a difference. My old Exclaim is crystal clear, at ALL VOLUMES!!! Told by radioschack employee to just turn the Evo down when it distorts......he was right but then you couldn't hear, especially with any background noise.

I will probably try the Samsung Epic in a few weeks. My wife has the Samsung Intercept and compared to the EVO earpiece is 120% better.

Why don't they put quality earpieces in smartphones????

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I didnt know the HTC Evo was "all smartphones"...

beenz, jroc and tommy_ed like this.
  3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Maybe you just need to get your ears checked. My last few Smartphone have had great call quality.

jroc and AndroidSPCS like this.
  4. elknrut

Have friends who say the same thing, also have researched alot since my problems with the EVO, seems to be a common "cheap" part of smartphones.

Which smartphones have you had that have great earpieces?

5. IOWA

Htc Mogul, Htc Touch Pro, Htc Touch Pro 2, Palm Centro, Palm Handspring Treo, Samsung Moment.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Moment was a great phone, but speakerphone was iffy.

However the Evo and Epic have awesome speakerphones, and people that I talk to on speakerphone mode can't even tell that I'm on speakerphone. They are as good as my Blackberries, which are the king of speakerphone sweetness.

7. IOWA

no way man, nothing still even comes close the the HTC TP2 Speakerphone, that thing is godly.

8. Sarahnya

Sarahnya Active Member

I have just got an HTC Legend, I find the call quality to be rather good but I can't say the same for the external speaker it's not very loud.

9. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Same with my Eris. The earpiece is pretty good, as well as the microphone sensitvity. But the external speaker, is sort of so-so. It works and does its job, but its not very loud, and the sound quality is a bit lacking. My old Nokia E63 on the other hand, that had an extremely good external speaker. It wasn't incredibly loud, but the sound quality is quite amazing for a speaker that's only a couple centimeters. It actually had quite a bit of depth when music was played through it as opposed to the shallow sound on my Eris.

10. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

I have had dumbphones for 10 years and none of them even come close to my OG droid.......it is hands down the best speaker (earpiece and speaker part) that I have heard in a phone...I will be a long time motorola guy because IMO HTC quality is not up to par with motorola....that is just me tho.

11. elknrut

I am only referring to the earpiece...... According to HTC the Hero had a bad earpiece and it was a known issue, but the EVO is supposed to have a great earpiece(according to HTC tech). When you hear a blownspeaker sound 2 clicks down from high, that is not a good speaker to me...annoying. Wow, the philly cheerleaders look nice.........I love HDTV.

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Well then maybe thats your problem: you have a blown speaker. I have an evo and mine sounds great, even at the highest volume.

13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

All smartphones arent horrible phones. Try a few more replacements, manufacturers, models and u might find a smartphone that works good as a phone. My Droid 1 and X, both good on the phone functions. The X is better than the Droid on the phone functions.

Hell, the only reason I kept the X was cuz it had better reception than my Droid.

14. elknrut

Then I am guessing it's a quality control issue, 2 EVO's neither had a earpiece that worked. Most likely the case since they are pumping these things out at a record pace........

15. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Its not all smartphones, Motorola and Blackberry know how to get the phone part right, HTC and Apple do not.

16. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm quite happy with the HTC Desire call quality, the external speaker on the other hand is not great. It could be a little louder & is quite tinny too.

IMO, the problem is that everybody wants their phone to be "slim & sexy". In order to make it so , compromises must be made. Most notably to the battery life &/or speaker quality. Honestly, why can't they just make them 5-15% bigger in order to put in better speakers & batteries. The mind boggling thing is that they are willing to make that compromise to put in a bigger screen, but not a better battery.

Sigh.

jroc likes this.
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

See, thats one thing I fear about the Droid X. Its 2 antenna setup gives good reception, probably the best out right now for Android phones. I think thats why the X is so long. To make room for the antennas.

If its the reason for it being so long, I will stay with 4.3" and longer, nothing smaller..

18. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

As stated above, don't assume that your experience is indicative of every device out there.

19. elknrut

How are the earpieces.....the evo had a great speakerphone, how is the epic earpiece and call quality?? Thanks