Why are so many games/apps in Euros/British Pounds?

Last Updated:

1. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I recently got my D1, and I'm noticing a lot of the games and apps I might be interested in buying are listed in Euros or British Pounds. I'm in the US, so how would I buy a game like labyrinth if I wanted to? Can I buy games in a different currency and pay for them in $'s?

Also, don't mean to ask a stupid question, but is my phone set it's default location in Europe for some reason? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

The currencies are in whatever currency the maker wants. If they're in Europe they'll charge Euros, there's some apps in Yen. You can still buy them, it will just convert it to USD and let you know how much it will be and will take it out of your account.

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

When you go to the checkout, it will show how much it is in USD. I've done it a few times. No big deal.

4. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Something like 10 euros is about 13 USD, I just got by a little math in my head when looking. No big deal like Demache said.

5. faber78

faber78 Guest

i dont like it for one reason;
    my bank has blocked all payments to those areas because of to many debit card frauds.
    i have no credit card debt and refuse to use a credit card.

top that a friend of mine did have someone steal his card info. and use it from france i believe....
    so im not gonna ask them to remove the block for me or anything.

6. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When you buy an app does it charge it to Verizon or does it charge it ask you to set up a credit card? I only ask bc my parents pay the bill and I rather them not be bothered with that charge.

7. faber78

faber78 Guest

first time i bought one on the phone it asked for my debit card (or credit card) info.
    entered it once and it must have saved it somewhere, after that you dont have to enter it again.
    it charges straight to the card, not though verizon.

8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

It's through google checkout

9. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Get a prepaid credit card. It should work for you.

10. faber78

faber78 Guest

i realize that but somehow it does have the block to apps from those areas only.
    i called the bank and they explained it to me.

then got online and checked the locations via firefox country locate add on for web sites to dev of apps i couldnt buy and sure enough the apps i cant buy are from there.

i can buy american apps just fine.

it puts it on hold automatically if it is from france, great brittan, etc.

end result, google checkout does not matter. if the app is from there, and the money is going there; my bank blocks it.

i may, except its only use would be to buy apps. i had thought of that.

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Sounds strange. Google checkout protects your payment info from the seller, so it really does not matter where they're located.

It's not a direct payment to the vendor. You pay Google who pays the vendor. This sounds like a marketplace issues, not a Google checkout issue.

12. Jezston

Jezston Well-Known Member

The money goes to Google. The currency is just an indication of cost and is converted to your native currency at checkout. There is no way your bank would even know what currency the app was listed in. I smell BS.

13. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much.

14. faber78

faber78 Guest

cant explain it then....is exactly how it happened.
    i was trying to pay through the market place i guess?
    what pay options are there?

basically buy my apps from my phone, entered the data into my phone once and have bought them that way since.

can i use google checkout different then how im using whatever im using now? would be nice to be able to pic up apps from other area without unblocking this bank thing.

15. faber78

faber78 Guest

16. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Good thing I have a Wells Fargo debit account. It even worked back when I still had my teen checking account. :)