• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why are you choosing the incredible over then n1?

johnnyc418

Mar 22, 2010
now that the release date for the incredible is near, im debating on whether i should get the inc or the n1. right now im thinking that ill just get which ever comes out first, but what if they come out the same day? if the n1 is subsidized with i family plan, then ill go for the n1. so, why are you choosing the incredible over the nexus one?

I'd rather the optical track ball. Better camera. Sense UI. More internal storage? Plus it seems like there are little problems lurking in the N1 that pop up in reviews. The only video out there for the Incredible also makes it seem like it works alot smoother than the N1. Maybe HTC does some other customizations to Android along with Sense. The Desire vids seem to show smoother performance as well.

Reactions: g1701gst
Upvote 0
I want to walk in the store and see the thing in person. Plus I am not sure how the contract thing is going to work - i'm getting the phone after just over one year on my old one as a VIP account (not sure what that means other than that I can upgrade my phone early supposedly for the new contract price). I don't know if that can be honored through some other company.

I am also attracted to the additional memory, the FM radio, and the (hopefully) better camera.

EDIT: So I went and checked and the V.I.P. program doesn't exist anymore, but apparently anyone with a My Verizon account can upgrade once a year at the promotional price for a new phone.

Upvote 0
Sorta the flip. Why would anyone choose the Nexus One over the Incredible? Nothing known about the Nexus One is an improvement over the Incredible.

Known or likely benefits of the Incredible over the Nexus One include:
- Available in a store. You can touch it, try it.
- Supported by Verizon. Not having to deal with Google's non-support.
- Subsidized by Verizon. No paying full price on Google's website.
- High mp camera
- 8GB memory on board
- Optical trackpad instead of a trackball. More reliable.
- Multi-touch problem reported to have been fixed on Incredible
- Sense UI... if you like it. Can disable it if you don't.

Benefits of Nexus One over Incredible
- None confirmed

Reactions: Tony Touch
Upvote 0
I'd rather the optical track ball. Better camera. Sense UI. More internal storage? Plus it seems like there are little problems lurking in the N1 that pop up in reviews. The only video out there for the Incredible also makes it seem like it works alot smoother than the N1. Maybe HTC does some other customizations to Android along with Sense. The Desire vids seem to show smoother performance as well.

Couldn't have said it better!;)

Upvote 0
I think the N1 and the incredible are basically identical.

People claiming more smoothness might just be seeing some better animations in the Sense UI implemented by HTC.

Here is how I see it: Hardware-wise, the difference is

N1 has a bigger battery but the trackball.
The Incredible has a smaller battery but an optical trackpad and a better camera and some internal storage.

Sofware-wise

the Incredible has sense UI which can be an improvement
The N1 is anointed by google. Meaning 1st shot at updates directly from google and the root makes it so you can EASILY add sense or anything else you want.

The big determinant here is price. The incredible will likely be eligible for NE2 and may even have a lower price.

The N1 made sense for T-mobile where if you buy your phone out right there are special low priced plans that reflect the fact that there is no subsidy.

Verizon doesn't have this.

As for screen, it will be the SAME screen. The two phones are basically identical, they won't re-engineer the screen.

The camera doesn't make too much of a difference. If you know anything about photography, past a certain point, its sensor size and lens that makes more of a difference than megapixel. The N1 takes excellent pictures and video compared to the droid for example.

Lets see what comes out first and what pricing we'll get. I think either phone will make you happy.

Upvote 0
Getting an Incredible for sure!

Reasons not to get the Nexus one:
-It is so last January.
-Tmobile/AT&T has it, I like exclusivity.
-Cant wait any longer. need a new Phone ASAP!

Non-issues for me:
-Verizon support. I would never use Verizon CS for anything. If I can't fix it, a CS rep definitely wont be able to help.
-ordering Online. I don't mind not being able to actually touch it. I know what I am getting.
-N1 issues. I would think that Verizon and Google have had enough to fix any problems.

Other thoughts: If both the N1 and INC came out the same day back in January, I would have gone for the N1 because it is the "google phone". But that novelty has worn off now. Also I would would never consider any network other than Verizon's.

Upvote 0
I'm still leaning toward the N1 but undecided.

This is shallow but I prefer the look of the N1. It just comes off more elegant and simple. That and the name Incredible bugs me.

I like the trackball although I agree it could cause problems long term.

I'm drawn to the idea of it as the official Google phone and likely having the fastest upgrades and most flexibility.

Right now I'm just waiting to see how everything plays out and itching to get my hands on both of these devises.

Upvote 0
I was all about the "faster updates" that the Nexus One was/is going to get. But it really doesn't seem like it's panning out that way. There are a whole slew of issues with the N1 and some of them could have a pretty quick fix (i.e. no screen rotation for contacts while in car dock).

At this point I am thinking Incredible because even though VZW really puts updates through the ringer before they push them out, when they DO come out they are up to snuff.

Only thing that kills it for me is Sense... I have an Eris and am really not too crazy about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones