Why Camcorder Sucks

Last Updated:

1. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think it's due to the battery. I recorded a video last night for all of 7 minutes and went from 80% charge to 35% charge. From what I've read from some of our bright EVO owners here I've gathered that better video quality inevitably means more battery drain. I think the phone has been handicapped in these areas because of this. I don't think the EVO could take more battery drain and still be considered functional. I doubt it would make it to 15 minutes of continuous recording on a single charge. Phone would not be good for very much after that.

Between FPS and the Camera I think the EVO wouldn't be useable with improvements in those areas, the battery life would be ultra dismal. I think some of the early phones that were having battery problems wouldn't have lasted a couple of hours. I think HTC made them that way to make the battery life acceptable.

Just a thought.

Advertisement
  2. south875

south875 Active Member

I did 2 different 720p recordings on friday night. Both were around 3 minutes each and my battery only went down maybe 10-12%

3. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I made a 6 minute video the other day and it had NO noticeable affect on my battery.

4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

The video quality is very poor.

5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Go away Dreamliner. NOT what this thread is about.

6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

^ the thread is titled "why camcorder sucks"...what is this thread then?

7. quentin135

quentin135 Well-Known Member

On a couple occasions, I've used my camcorder a couple times for consecutive and multiple ~2 minute 720p clips of random things and didn't notice any unexpected excessive battery drain. After about 10 minutes worth of recording, I lost no more than 10% of my battery.

For me that's about good enough. I wasn't expecting stellar battery efficiency (or video quality for that matter) from the camcorder anyway though.

8. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well maybe it's just my phone, but I was shocked at the results I saw. In fact my battery life was trash after the update altogether. However after a power cycle today it seems to be pretty good again. After 2.5 hours of occasional use (emails) I'm at 90% battery. I got mad earlier today and went widget crazy as well, so I have 14 widgets on my home screens and it's still doing well.

Maybe I jumped the gun on this one. Take full responsibility. But the camcorder still sucks.

9. thlayli

thlayli Active Member

Gee, I dunno. Try reading the OP.

10. semperLux

semperLux Well-Known Member

I agree with op that EVO might be a little handicapped by putting a weak better into a phone that can record HD. But can you imagine the reviews if it didn't record in HD? I own a Kodak Zi6 that records HD using 2 rechargeable AA bats. Without doing the math here, these phones have about the same capacity so the EVO is on par with what my Zi6 does. Slightly better actually because the Zi6 is not a phone. When someone records HD using their phone, it's a good bet that there's probably other apps in memory sucking up that juice. The point is it's a lot of work for a few double AAs to do-it's only 1500 milliamps.

Quality? You might want to compare with other users and see if your phone is defective. So far, my Zi6 records slightly better quality than my EVO. But for me, VGA is sufficient and don't really need to record HD. It's nice to have though.

I keep telling myself, "dude, you're recording your kids using a frickin' phone... my dad needed a leather strap to hold his Bell & Howell Super 8 to record us when we were little" I'm one of those that is totally awed by smartphone technology.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jimmysworking likes this.
  11. tcmoon

tcmoon Member

Sometimes if your phone is on standby for a long time and then gets a large draw of current the battery may decrease at a faster rate.