• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why cant Google with all its programming power make some QUALITY apps for us????

This is a smartphone and you can install replacement apps and buy stuff,>>> No Acutually I looked for a good POP3 email replacement. Doesnt exist. I looked for a good video player which will allow for adjustments of audio drift. DOESNT exist. (tried 2 of them) WMV MS streaming? You even know of one?
troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic?? Am I off topic?
Font size STILL an issue with the email program.
Email delete a ton of email and you can an not empty trash. I had over 500 emails in the trash and there is no select all or delete all etc.
Filter NO filter for junk email on the email client.
K9 works poorly so far tried it. GOOGLED POP3 replacement email programs for Android Go ahead you find one thats advanced..
Music player replacement.. Might be able to find a better one I didnt search that hard for one.
This is trolling?
So for a smart phone email support mediocre, web surfing and face book GOOD.
Video audio mediocre. Camera POOR contrast and color. Keyboard not that bad construction solid. Call quality good. Back of the phone gets HOT when streaming audio. I am just not a big Fan BOY.
This phone has good things and a lot of amateur things.
I dont mix words. The new Picture Gallery is much nicer.

My guess is the SDK is not very robust.
For a 500Mhz Processor it sure seems to have some issues doing some basic things like keeping audio in sync with video. VLC offered an audio delay so you could resync your video manually and keep it in sync.
I have the Motorola Android and even though it looks OK and works OK its still very version 0.9.

Tried WinMo? Maybe you should, maybe there you will find those apps.

Maybe you should simply start programming yourself since nothing that is out there suits you.

Upvote 0
What you did was just dumb.>>> YES I believed that a large company MOTOROLA that joined forces with a HUGE company GOOGLE could make a decent phone. I see your point. You want to tell those companies that their customers should expect shabby lack luster products from them?

Hi, welcome to open source.

let me mention again how the point of open source is for developers to create things, not leave every single thing to the company.

Realistically if google came out and did everything that has been complained about on this thread perfectly..

the android market would not be needed :/

Reactions: MisterMixelpix
Upvote 0
As I said; next time choose a phone not by its popularity but by its usefulness to you.

This is a smartphone and you can install replacement apps and buy stuff, if you want everything for free you are insane.

Maybe I'm just used to the shortcomings of open source since I'm a Linux user, but it drives me nuts when people whine and moan that the head company isn't doing everything that everyone wants perfectly.

They made the platform and left it open source for people to put up tons of awesome free apps, doesn't that count for something?

Upvote 0
Well this is disappointing. I do program just not java (which I think the SDK is written in) I dont understand how after a year some enterprising programmer has not addressed these things. I am not alone in these wants. I have read similar threads here. Are programmers only making Light Saber apps and Star Trek words? I like those things as well but would really like my phone to be more finished. I dont mind it being version point 9 for a while but that does get old 6 months later. Typical turn around for applications is 90 to 120 days. So I have been patient.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm just used to the shortcomings of open source since I'm a Linux user, but it drives me nuts when people whine and moan that the head company isn't doing everything that everyone wants perfectly.

They made the platform and left it open source for people to put up tons of awesome free apps, doesn't that count for something?

I agree with you totally. I am definitely against constant moaning about something.

Upvote 0
Well this is disappointing. I do program just not java (which I think the SDK is written in) I dont understand how after a year some enterprising programmer has not addressed these things. I am not alone in these wants. I have read similar threads here. Are programmers only making Light Saber apps and Star Trek words? I like those things as well but would really like my phone to be more finished. I dont mind it being version point 9 for a while but that does get old 6 months later. Typical turn around for applications is 90 to 120 days. So I have been patient.

So make one! Google isn't burdened with the task of making every app, that's why Android is open source. If you're supposedly some awesome programmer that can do these things, do it! Jeez. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
My guess is if these things could be done they would have been. Open Source doesnt mean a great SDK. It just means there is one thats published. I just dont have the the time to spend tons of hours on something to find out the SDK is the reason why this hasnt happened. I mean FONT size to read email?? Sounds like a no brainier doesn't it?
These are clues that there is some serious limitations on the SDK not the programmers.

Upvote 0
It's about priorities, Google has only limited number of employees who have limited amount of time to work on projects. If you feel strongly about better features for calendar/email, then go to: Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code and make your voice heard there. I personally don't use such features on my Android phone at all. (My work provides blackberries & laptops to people who need such always-on connectivity) I get more work done when I'm not constantly interrupted anyway.

Upvote 0
Why don't you buy those apps then? (serious question, what are the flaws?)

I want google to focus on the most basic functionality... contacts, UI, speed optimizations, etc

What google SHOULD focus on is what draws the most users (then it becomes an engineering AND marketing problem...)

Sometimes what we want, and what should happen don't fall in line ;)

Sorry.. I should have been more clear. I have ALL of these apps.. when Google allows map storage on the SD card then I am sure people like you will say "it's about time". Oh and thought you should know.. Google is finally getting around to allowing apps on the SD card.. 2 years later... go figure!

Upvote 0
Sorry.. I should have been more clear. I have ALL of these apps.. when Google allows map storage on the SD card then I am sure people like you will say "it's about time". Oh and thought you should know.. Google is finally getting around to allowing apps on the SD card.. 2 years later... go figure!

I can't speak for maps of Europe, but a full set of U.S. maps, turn-by-turn routing data and points of interest adds about US$35-40 in licensing costs to the price of a device and more every couple of years if you're going to keep them updated.

Magellan sells an application for the iPhone that does exactly what you want for US$50. If there's sufficient demand, they'll do the same for Android.

--Mark

Upvote 0
I agree with both sides on this. Yes, there are a lot of awesome apps and we shouldn't sweat the small stuff. Then again, not having these functionalities sucks! The calendar was one thing I seemed to overlooked when I was checking out my phone. I guess I assumed that it wouldn't be just like my Storm, but even better. Overall, it's better, but not in that area.

I'm still happy, I just wish someone would address the issues.

Upvote 0
I have already had my say. There were some good points brought up here but I remain convinced that basic functionality should be the next great app google works on and no where do I see it more lacking than support for business/corporate/PIM type use which is a core function of smartphones. I think the only thing I would like to add is that some folks here seem to think this is a fringe use for a smartphone, it isnt. Literally millions of people have these needs.

Upvote 0
I agree with both sides on this. Yes, there are a lot of awesome apps and we shouldn't sweat the small stuff. Then again, not having these functionalities sucks! The calendar was one thing I seemed to overlooked when I was checking out my phone. I guess I assumed that it wouldn't be just like my Storm, but even better. Overall, it's better, but not in that area.

My issue is this.. People want to complain about android.. however, everything android does not do.. It has something it does that other phones don't.

When picking a phone, you have always had to decide between pro's and con's. Hopefully android will get better in the future and this won't be an issue.. But, at that point, no one will have any reason to use any other phone.

Upvote 0
I think some of you guys need to realise that Android is primarily an iPhone competitor, not a Blackberry competitor.

I had a Blackberry Bold and found it was terrible for my needs, mainly because it's so business focused and I wasn't using it for business.

If you guys have PIM and calendar as your number one requirement in a phone, then you should've stuck with the Blackberry. My number one requirements are apps, media and UI and for me my Milestone is tick, tick, tick.

I have no idea what ChicagoBob is rambling on about, video playback is great on my Milestone, you just need to make sure you encode it appropriately.

Upvote 0
What I love most about these types of posts is the entitlement that people seem to have for everything. They buy one product and make assumptions about what they should get for free with the product.

Google is not selling Android, google is not selling any of the applications that are included for free. Again let write that out again. FREE.

I've been developing software for a long time now and customers always think what they want or how they want it is the best way to go. This is NOT the case.

If every single thing every single customer wanted was included Android would be bloated, slow and way too confusing.

If you're unhappy and it's to the point of driving you out of your mind. Sell or return your phone and get something will do exactly what you *need*.

I suggest a bit more research in the future. I researched the phone I wanted for months before I replaced my iphone.

Good Luck,

R

Upvote 0
I am starting to look at WinMo phones. I like the IPhone but my carrier doesnt carry and and dont think it will ever have Flash which is pretty sad since much of the web is flash enabled. Anyway..

This is a silly reason to look at WinMO, you might keep an eye out for the new Windows Phone 7 OS, it looks promising.

Flash is going away, Apple has the right idea by not allowing it. Right now there isn't any reason to "NEED" flash on a phone.

It's a pig with lipstick. Even though I can use flash on my phone I have it disabled.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for out there.

Upvote 0
I also wonder why people are going on and on and on about Flash coming to Android.

(a) I already have Flash on my Desire....at least I think I can cos I can certainly play Facebook games on it.

(b) It's stupidly stupid trying to play Facebook flash games on a touchscreen phone - slow and controls are not right.

I think that we're getting Flash simply because "we can" and people are all so excited about is simply because "iPhone can't".

Upvote 0
Actually Flash animations, navigation and streaming are HUGE. There is so much of it that you dont notice. To say its not is crazy. They have a H264 video streamer that people use constantly. 1) Flash isnt dead. 2) Its not the only reason to move from Droid. I need a complete POP email client that can handle more than one account filter out junk mail and delete messages from my account while leaving the others up there etc.. Ability to change Font sizes to make text easier to read. etc.

Upvote 0
"Amen" to that!

A smartphone without PIM features? Whats so smart about it?

I could care less about programs like Google shopper. I want this phone sooo bad but I after playing with my wifes and reading this forum, the lack of PIM features syncing with even JUST google makes it a no go for me. I gotta stick with this Treo Pro and maybe even wait foe windows phone 7. Sucks man.

By that reasoning, some company could introduce a new car that happens to not have a steering wheel or windows, and someone could answer, "More features will come in time."

Phones introduced in the market today have to compete with already extant phones by default. That's the world we're living in.

Upvote 0
Some of the Android fanboys are really scaring me in this thread. I really, really hope that Android fanboys don't start emulating iPhone fanboys...

That being said I love Android and Google, but there are some basic features that Android lacks, especially regarding its native calendar and email applications. Luckily for me I don't use those things, but at some point I may need them and it would be nice if they were there. Android definitely has its shortcomings but at least Google seems to be addressing them in a timely manner. Not to mention that UI skins like Sense, and 3rd party apps make up for some of what's missing.

Upvote 0
On the subject of Gmail; no c&p? What's all that about?

I love my Desire, but without doubt the least attractive aspect of Android ownership are the fanboys. It's pathetic.

I think some of you protest too much.

I want some polish, some aesthetic quality, some flair. I want the basics covered.Don't tell me the OS is too young - it was acquired way before the G1 was released.

Reactions: pronto
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones