• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why can't HTC update there phones.

Why can't HTC update the software like other companies? The HTC ONE was released without the newest Jelly Bean software. Our HTC EVO's do not have the latest software. It takes HTC years and Samsung weeks to update to the latest version. HTC continues to lose market share because of this and they just do not seem to care. It is a shame they cannot get their act together.

Most companies are like that actually. This may get a lot of hate but so far the only company that truly supports their older devices is Apple. Honestly, I have a friend who uses the iPhone 3GS and it still supports iOS 6. My mom's note took so long to be upgraded to jellybeans.

Upvote 0
It's not HTC it's the carriers that push out the updates. As far as them not doing well because of not having 4.2.2 is false. Not having the very latest version of Android has nothing to do with their sales lol. 90% of the people who buy phones have no idea nor do they care what version of android the phone is running. That's just ridiculous to even think that. The carriers are in charge of rolling out the updates.

Upvote 0
If you want the latest android version fast, you have to be on a nexus device. Theres no getting around that for the time being. The other phones are much slower, and its usually NOT completely the manufacturers fault. You can blame Sprint, Verizon, ATT, ect for at least part of it.

Youll notice international phones get the updates months before the US versions... That's all on your carrier. They get it the same time as everyone else, but spent months on quality assurance and bloat before pushing it out.

Honestly, Samsung isn't a whole lot better than HTC at getting android version updates out

Upvote 0
When I first got my HTC eris from Verizon I loved it but one thing I didn't like was how long HTC would take to roll out their updates. When I got the thunderbolt when it came out it was still on froyo and it barely just got updated into jellybean. Someone correct me if I am wrong since I no longer own a thunderbolt

Upvote 0
Rxpert83 is right. There's so much more to blame than just HTC.

Remember, because they wanted to do it their way, and not allow any carrier flavoring, Verizon originally shoved the release of the iPhone into the arms of At&t. I remember how different I thought it was at the time (and even unneeded, perhaps pompous of Apple to insist upon) yet it's one of the few things I'll give them credit for now -- something I'd not mind a bit of on the android side.

Carriers must have more muscle and incentives for phone manufacturers than we know.

Pick your poison though. Everything has its compromises.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones