Why can't I edit mp3 tags on micro sd card?Support

1. Nic2k83

Nic2k83 New Member

I have all my music stored on a 64gb micro sd card in my z1 compact, however I have noticed that I cannot edit the mp3 tags when viewing the files in windows.

Why is this?

I have my device connected to my laptop using the usb cable, I navigate through to the sd card directory and all my music is there, I just can't edit the tags.

I also can't edit the tags on the phone, I have tried numerous apps on the play store. They let me edit the tags but the new data will not save.

Just a niggle really, all my tags are generally correct but I would just like to know why I can't edit them.

I suspect its something to do with a Google restriction or an SD card restriction, but it seems silly to me.

My Z1 compact is running android 4.4.2.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

This is why:
    Neither Windows nor the app onyour phone owns those files. (Your SD card is protected storage since Kit Kat.) Copy the files to your computer, change the tags there, delete them from the SD card and copy them from the computer to the card.

Or you could put the card into a card reader and edit then directly on the card in the computer. Windows doesn't care about Android's "owner" policy.

Eventually developers will get around to modifying apps to run on 4.4 and be able to modify files on the SD card (unless Google withdraws support of external SD cards completely - which is when I start running Ubuntu on my phone).
    Nic2k83 likes this.
  3. Nic2k83

Nic2k83 New Member

Really appreciate your help with that, at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong. Thank you
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

You're welcome. No, it's something Google did wrong, they followed their motto - "If it's not broke, break it." Now anything like a tag editor has to run rooted - which voids the warranty.
  5. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Well-Known Member

I believe they are already there (if rooted). There is an app on Xposed that apparently gets around this called HandleExternalStorage. Although I noticed last night that I couldn't edit on the computer still and I have this so I don't know if perhaps there needs more work on it or I have missed doing something.