• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why can't I get a samsung galaxy s3 with my current plan?

PS3RULZ13

Lurker
Oct 27, 2012
The samsung galaxy s3 was on sale today at bestbuy and i have an upgrade so i thought i would go buy one. right now i have t-mobile with a $29.99 voice plan (old voice plan) and a $4.99 texting plan. I was going to add a $20 data plan for my galaxy s3. So i get to bestbuy and he starts the setup, asks our address blah blah blah and then he says "oh.. the current plan you have wont work with the galaxy s3."...............................
How does a voice plan not work with a phone? Out of every single friend or family member that has a smartphone, none of them had to change their plans. Even the ones who had their voice plans for over 15 years. Why do i need to change my voice plan? according to bestbuy id have to change my $55 plan(including data and texting) to a $70 plan. I don't want to pay $70 every month plus tax. I have a cheap plan for a reason.. Whats the point of upgrading a phone if they make you chose certain plans to use with that phone? If all this is true, then t-mobile is the biggest scam i've ever seen and im going to ****en AT@T.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks!

I'd be careful attributing this to T-Mobile. It is possible the new data plan is a Best Buy requirement to get the sale price. Even if T-Mobile is forcing you to the new plan, switching to AT&T won't help (at least from what I know of it); they've had users complaining about having to upgrade plans if they bought a smartphone for years.

Upvote 0
Unless you're paying full retail for that phone, whoever is selling it to you has the right to set any terms and conditions they want in exchange for the heavily discounted price tag.

This is actually not the case. Not counting the price: BestBuy can only go by the terms and conditions that T-Mobile sets for them. T-Mobile makes the terms and conditions and BestBuy has to abide by them. This does not mean that those terms and conditions offered to you from T-Mobile will be the same as what is being offered to you from BestBuy (ie; T-Mobile can set two different sets of terms for their own customers than what they've set for BestBuy's customers who purchase T-Mobile products/services.)

Upvote 0
This is actually not the case. Not counting the price: BestBuy can only go by the terms and conditions that T-Mobile sets for them. T-Mobile makes the terms and conditions and BestBuy has to abide by them. This does not mean that those terms and conditions offered to you from T-Mobile will be the same as what is being offered to you from BestBuy (ie; T-Mobile can set two different sets of terms for their own customers than what they've set for BestBuy's customers who purchase T-Mobile products/services.)

so basically its possible that if i go to t-mobile and buy the phone, they might not make me upgrade my plan? just make me get the required data plan?

also, i find it very very stupid that when you upgrade your phone online, the only thing that it says by the phone that's required is a data plan. Does not say qualifying plans will work with this phone or w/e. Very very misleading.

Upvote 0
so basically its possible that if i go to t-mobile and buy the phone, they might not make me upgrade my plan? just make me get the required data plan?

also, i find it very very stupid that when you upgrade your phone online, the only thing that it says by the phone that's required is a data plan. Does not say qualifying plans will work with this phone or w/e. Very very misleading.

It may be unlikely, but you won't know until you walk into the store and ask. If it were me Id go directly to a T-Mobile store and speak face to face with a manager and ask what options are available to you. Sometimes they will bend over backwards to keep you as a customer (especially if you can build a good rapport in person).

Upvote 0
It may be unlikely, but you won't know until you walk into the store and ask. If it were me Id go directly to a T-Mobile store and speak face to face with a manager and ask what options are available to you. Sometimes they will bend over backwards to keep you as a customer (especially if you can build a good rapport in person).

alright thanks.
i've been a customer for 7 years now so they better let me get it! haha

Upvote 0
The $20 data plans are tied to the current plans. I'm pretty sure they won't let you get that without being on the current plans. If you want data, you'll likely have to migrate your plan. The most cost effective thing to do would probably be to buy a nexus 4 (similar to the GS3 in many ways) at $299 and get a value plan or pre-paid plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones