• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why can't I make my "Home" address more precise?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all. I've noticed that when Google uses my GPS to find my "Home" location (labeled as such in Maps, but also when I use a feature like the S7's Smart Lock), it only finds it down to the street, but not the street *number*. Why can't it get more accurate than this? Manually adding in the street number doesn't seem to do anything and it remains a more generic street address.

The main reason I'm asking is because of the Smart Lock feature of the S7. I'd like to set up a lock screen security method (pattern, fingerprint, etc.) but also have this skipped when I'm at home. But it doesn't seem to work, and I'm guessing it's because my actual GPS location as determined by the Smart Lock feature is outside of the range of the "Home" address determined by Google (even though it's the same street).

I don't know what else to do, but I find it hard to believe that as accurate as GPS is, Google can't get the "Home," "Work," etc. addresses to use the most accurate address available.

Thanks!

Hi,

Open google maps in online.
Fix your location at home,or,
Move the map to the "home"location.
locate the exact spot of home in google map.
Long touch on the spot.
see in the searchbox the "GPS coordinates" pop-up.
Note this values or copy this.
( Tap on the coordinates again double tap on the coordinates and see copy option).
Exit from apps and re open google maps.
Menu>your places>labelled >tap on the
three dot menu right to the home button.
Tap on remove button.
This deletes the previous location.
Tap on the home button again.
in the search box at the top,type or,
Paste the coordinates,copied/noted before.
Tap on the " check " icon in Google keyboard.
New location will be saved.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Open google maps in online.
Fix your location at home,or,
Move the map to the "home"location.
locate the exact spot of home in google map.
Long touch on the spot.
see in the searchbox the "GPS coordinates" pop-up.
Note this values or copy this.
( Tap on the coordinates again double tap on the coordinates and see copy option).
Exit from apps and re open google maps.
Menu>your places>labelled >tap on the
three dot menu right to the home button.
Tap on remove button.
This deletes the previous location.
Tap on the home button again.
in the search box at the top,type or,
Paste the coordinates,copied/noted before.
Tap on the " check " icon in Google keyboard.
New location will be saved.

Thank you, but this didn't work. It actually set the address back to exactly what it was before, and even shows the pin in the same spot as well, even though I did as you said in a different spot.

Upvote 0
I find it hard to believe that as accurate as GPS is, Google can't get the "Home," "Work," etc. addresses to use the most accurate address available.

GPS is accurate.... up to a point, usually +/- (x) metres, where (x) can be anything from 10 - 2 depending on atmospheric, geographical and/or celestial conditions.

I use Smart Lock on my own devices. I "zeroed in" on my location with Google Maps and then edited the details manually to math my home address. A few metres inaccuarrcy either way is actually a good thing, o allow for the afore-mentioned variables.

Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
GPS is accurate.... up to a point, usually +/- (x) metres, where (x) can be anything from 10 - 2 depending on atmospheric, geographical and/or celestial conditions.

I use Smart Lock on my own devices. I "zeroed in" on my location with Google Maps and then edited the details manually to math my home address. A few metres inaccuarrcy either way is actually a good thing, o allow for the afore-mentioned variables.

So does your "Home" address have your specific street number? Because I can't seem to get it that accurate. It just has the street name itself, and on the map it pins this as being in the middle of the street.

Upvote 0
How did you edit it? Putting in the coordinates didn't change anything for me.

Hi, to set your house as 'Home' in Google maps :-

1) Longpress on your house to drop a pin.
2) Slide up the card from the bottom of the screen.
3) Tap 'Label'.
4) Start typing Home, it should offer you 'Set your home address'.
5) Tap on 'Set your home address'.
6) Tap 'Update'.

Job done :).

Screenshot_20161101-023833.png Screenshot_20161101-023903.png Screenshot_20161101-023921.png Screenshot_20161101-023947.png Screenshot_20161101-024018.png

And no, I don't live at the top of Snowdon mountain ;).

Follow the same procedure to set your work address. When you type W it will offer you 'Set your work address'.

If you go to 'Your places' and tap the 3 dot menu button for Home or Work, you can edit the location, change the icon or remove the label :-

Screenshot_20161101-031540.png Screenshot_20161101-031604.png Screenshot_20161101-031616.png
Screenshot_20161101-033837.png

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, to set your house as 'Home' in Google maps :-

1) Longpress on your house to drop a pin.
2) Slide up the card from the bottom of the screen.
3) Tap 'Label'.
4) Start typing Home, it should offer you 'Set your home address'.
5) Tap on 'Set your home address'.
6) Tap 'Update'.

Job done :).

Thanks! This did change it to where I wanted. Is there a way I can change the description? It says "Dropped pin" rather than an actual address, and when I tried to change the address to mine, it messed up again.

And still, the thing that got me onto this in the first place, bypassing the fingerprint scan when I'm at my home location, still doesn't work! How is this supposed to work? When I unlock it in a "safe" location, what should happen?

Upvote 0
At step 1, if you drop the pin on the road or street as near to your property as you can, it should give you a postcode/street address, although it may not be as accurate as you would like. In the UK a postcode can cover many properties on a street/road and I assume the same applies in the US. In my case I share a postcode with a property half a mile away and using the postcode makes the other property my 'Home' location, so I'm quite happy with the 'dropped pin' aspect, knowing that my 'Home' icon is sitting on my home.

I've got Smart Lock enabled based on location and that works fine for me. As Slug said, when setting it up I zeroed in on my GPS location. I don't have fingerprint recognition capability so use a six digit unlock code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At step 1, if you drop the pin on the road or street as near to your property as you can, it should give you a postcode/street address, although it may not be as accurate as you would like. In the UK a postcode can cover many properties on a street/road and I assume the same applies in the US. In my case I share a postcode with a property half a mile away and using the postcode makes the other property my 'Home' location, so I'm quite happy with the 'dropped pin' aspect, knowing that my 'Home' icon is sitting on my home.

I've got Smart Lock enabled based on location and that works fine for me. As Slug said, when setting it up I zeroed in on my GPS location. I don't have fingerprint recognition capability so use a six digit unlock code.

So when you are at home, does your phone unlock without any security? I can't get mine to do that.

Upvote 0
Mmmm, that's exactly as it shows for me too.

How have you set your 'Trusted place' in 'Smart lock'?

I assume it's the same as my HTC M9 :-

Screenshot_20161102-000323.png Screenshot_20161102-000148.png

Tap on 'Trusted places', then tap on 'Add trusted place' and you get the pin and blue ring then make sure the pin is on your Maps GPS location/Home, then tap 'Select this location'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmmm, that's exactly as it shows for me too.

How have you set your 'Trusted place' in 'Smart lock'?

I assume it's the same as my HTC M9 :-

View attachment 111442 View attachment 111443

Tap on 'Trusted places', then tap on 'Add trusted place' and you get the pin and blue ring then make sure the pin is on your Maps GPS location/Home, then tap 'Select this location'.

To set it in Smart Lock, I just choose the "Home" option that is already there.

Upvote 0
What is that location? It is possibly outside the range of 'Smart lock'.

Try the 'add trusted place' option which will ensure that it matches your actual location as shown on Maps to see if that makes a difference.

It doesn't seem to be out of range. It's the exact place where GPS is showing me to be, so I don't get why the Smart Lock feature wouldn't use the same place.

Doing the "Add Trusted Place" option still didn't work :-(

Upvote 0
Heh heh. I appreciate the help though!

As a matter of interest, what do you normally have for your Location mode setting?

Do you get a good and reliable GPS fix when indoors at home?, I need to have my Location in 'High accuracy' mode so that it utilises the wi-fi geolocation which can be more accurate than GPS depending on exactly where I am in the building.

I have now discovered that with my Location mode set to 'Battery saving', ie using only geolocation, Smart Lock still works. If I walk to a point between 50 and 60 metres from my hub I have to enter my 6 digit code to unlock the screen. If I go back to within range of my hub, Smart Lock kicks in again.

However, if I turn Location off then on, Smart Lock remains inactive until I restart/reboot the device and go back into Smart Lock and re-enable it by entering my unlock code. This is despite putting Location into 'High accuracy' and getting a GPS fix.

It may well be worth you doing a reboot then re-enabling Smart Lock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, what do you normally have for your Location mode setting?

Do you get a good and reliable GPS fix when indoors at home?, I need to have my Location in 'High accuracy' mode so that it utilises the wi-fi geolocation which can be more accurate than GPS depending on exactly where I am in the building.

I have now discovered that with my Location mode set to 'Battery saving', ie using only geolocation, Smart Lock still works. If I walk to a point between 50 and 60 metres from my hub I have to enter my 6 digit code to unlock the screen. If I go back to within range of my hub, Smart Lock kicks in again.

However, if I turn Location off then on, Smart Lock remains inactive until I restart/reboot the device and go back into Smart Lock and re-enable it by entering my unlock code. This is despite putting Location into 'High accuracy' and getting a GPS fix.

@JohnJSal, it may well be worth you doing a reboot then re-enabling Smart Lock.

I have it set to GPS only because I never use WiFi on my phone. My data connection is far superior to my WiFi, so I don't want to waste battery with the phone trying to turn wifi on.

The blue dot for GPS always seems accurate to me. I suppose it is finding me outside of that range, but I always thought GPS was the most accurate method. Maybe I'll walk around the house and see if it changes.

Upvote 0
I have it set to GPS only because I never use WiFi on my phone. My data connection is far superior to my WiFi, so I don't want to waste battery with the phone trying to turn wifi on.

I think that is your problem, if I try to enable Smart Remote 'Trusted places' without wifi or mobile data on I get a pop-up message to turn internet on and it won't work until I do.

Screenshot_20161103-042323_1_1.jpg

So you need to at least switch your mobile data on.

I always have my wifi on so have never had that message before, but I've just been trying various combinations of GPS and geolocations on and off to see what happens. As I said earlier, I can't rely on getting a GPS fix when indoors which is why my wifi is always on. I have 1GB data on mobile so only use that when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones