1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Why can't I text and talk at the same time?

1. asphalt cowboy

asphalt cowboy Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm rooted and am currently running the stock deodexed 2.2.1 version, build FRG83D. It is the one from peter alfonso's site. Anyways, I am wondering why I can't receive or send text messages, or receive any notifications, while in a call. I used to be able to with other roms. Don't know of it's a rom issue or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

This has nothing to do with ROMs or rooting. This is a CDMA issue.
  3. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Texting does not use data (3G), so it has nothing to do with CDMA. I frequently will be talking to someone on my BT and texting other people. There may be some call settings that are preventing you from doing this, look around in there is all I can suggest.
  4. asphalt cowboy

asphalt cowboy Well-Known Member

Checked my call settings. Found nothing. It's like they aren't being pushed through. I get an error every time I try to send a text while on a call. When I hang up then anything that was sent during the call, comes through all at once. I've never had this issue with some roms, I just can't remember which ones.
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

I will theorize that a sms message uses the same data authentication as a phone call, therefore I am also thinking it _might_ be a CDMA thing.

Especially with the results you provide. I've never tried to text and call at the same time on VZW, all I know for a FACT is that when I used to hack the razr and flash pure Moto UI firmwares to my V3m, it was always easiest to get calls and sms texts to work. The hard part was MMS, Web, etc.

good luck
  6. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

You can most definately text and talk at the same time (or SHOULD be able to. I was doing just this exact thing less than an hour ago. Unfortunately I don't know of any settings that control this, but wanted to pop in and at least let you know that you aren't crazy for thinking that you could :)
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

I stand corrected.
  8. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I just tried it and it went through...no wifi either...just data.
  9. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Again, this has nothing to do with CDMA. I can talk and text and the same time, and another user said the same thing. A SMS message is sent in the 160 bytes that are used when placing a phone call, the "1X" on Verizon. It's the same reason call waiting works. When you are on a call, your phone is still able to send/recieve this data (NOT "3G" data).
  10. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Yea I changed it...I tried it and it worked. I remember trying this one time in the past and it didn't work. who knows but it did work this time.
  11. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

on CDMA you cant web and talk at same time but you can talk and Text.

I just called my girlfriend directly through the phone dialer

once call was connected I pressed the home key

booted up handcent, texted her "test"

1 second later she said she got it.

I am using ud2.5 so just in case you were wondering.
  12. ocman

ocman Well-Known Member

Texting does not use DATA. MMS (Pictures/Video) uses data but you will still receive the text just not the data elements until off the call.
  13. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I can also confirm that texting and talking is possible. I called my wife and while on speaker hit my home button and then sent a text to a friend. While talking to my wife I received his response. And I was not on wifi.