• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why can't I view long text messages???

joshm662

Dec 30, 2011
I took a picture of my text messages so you can see what I'm talking about... my girlfriend and I were texting back and forth and she sent an incredibly long text and all it showed up as on my screen is what you see here... "Subject 6/6"... why can't I see what she said? Also, there are times when she send a text that is just a little bit long and it does the same thing.. "Subject 2/2"... but doesn't let me see the text... what the heck is going on? I have a Galaxy S3 running Jelly Bean 4.3... can someone help me out, please?

nmz511.jpg

Still no luck! Anyone else have ANY ideas??!?

Do you have a problem sending or receiving Pictures?

Nope... it seems to work just fine. I sent her one a second ago and she said it showed up and the picture she sent me showed up perfectly as well. Could it be HER phone that is the issue? She has a jankyTracfone, it's a touch screen one, but still, it's a Tracfone nonetheless.

Are you using a sms app other than stock? Look for a split text messages option and turn it off.

Nope, I'm using the stock SMS app. I downloaded (and use) the Google Keyboard, but that's it. I looked into my text messaging settings and don't see anything that says anything about splitting text messages.. the only mention of MMS that I see is where it says, "Multimedia message limit" and under that it says, "250 messages per conversation".

you might have already done this but check to see if the 'auto-retrieve' setting is checked under the mms bit of the messaging settings. if its not, put a tick in the box.

texts turn into mms if you use so many pages

Yea, it's been checked by default ever since I got this phone. I know my g/f sent me massive messages and they had to turn into MMS and that's the problem.. once converted to MMS, I get what you see in the picture I posted above. I don't get it!

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of is if your one for not deleting texts and your conversations end up really long, check your message settings to see how many mms are allowed per conversation. Maybe try increasing it or deleting some old conversation.

If that doesn't work I'd just call your provider to see if they can suggest something useful

Good luck :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Nope, I'm using the stock SMS app. I downloaded (and use) the Google Keyboard, but that's it. I looked into my text messaging settings and don't see anything that says anything about splitting text messages..

Correct, the stock SMS doesn't have any text splitting settings. That's why I asked if you were using a non stock SMS and if so, to check the settings for splitting texts but the stock SMS doesn't have that setting.

I'm honestly stumped to why you're having this issue if you're pretty much all stock. I guess the last thing you could try is a factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones