Why can't I zoom in on some websites?

Last Updated:

1. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On "mobile" websites, sometimes the text is just too small, yet the zoom option appears to be disabled.

What is it that tells Android browser that it's a mobile site? I know of one full size website which looks tiny on the screen, but i cannot zoom Frustrating!

Advertisement
  2. nDrg

nDrg Member

A lot of sites have mobile versions which auto-direct from their main website to the mobile versions when they detect which browser you are running (I.e. Android on a Smartphone). You can tell if you are on the mobile version by seeing if the url has something along the lines of m. or mobile. in the url.

I'm yet to come across a mobile site which doesn't render properly however, what android device are you running?

3. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    I can't zoom on some mobile sites (for example, google search). Installed xscope which works well (pinch zoom on every page). However some sites don't open correctly. For example, I can't seem to open gmail via scope. I'm hoping 2.1 solves the problem (droid) and I can go back to the native browser.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

The android browser passes a user agent tag to the site telling it what browser/device it is.

Try going to settings and see if there is an option to change the user agent to desktop. If not, then try a different browser app (Steel or Dolphin) as they allow you to do this.

5. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

But that's android telling the site what browser it is being used. Its not the browser deciding "I wont allow zooming on this page".