Why copy contacts to/from SIM?Support

Last Updated:

1. DroidRick

DroidRick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My goal is to be able to copy everything in contacts (Phone contacts, Google accounts, Yahoo accounts, all contact photos, e-mails, home addresses, notes etc. everything...) to my SD card or SIM card.

My first question is why does the SGS have a 'copy contacts to/from SIM' feature?

Is this for when you are taking your SIM from the SGS and putting it into another phone (or vice versa)?

You lose so much of your info (everything but name/number/e-mail) when you copy your contacts to your SIM.
    Wouldn't it be better to copy everything to your SD card and put your SD into your other phone, then copy the data to your other phone's contact list?

Advertisement
  2. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

The sim card thing I think you got on the nose. But seriously I'm never going back to dumbphones as now I'm pretty deeply entrenched in the google environment so even if I change phones I'm still going with android so that means contacts are no probs, right?

Can't you 'export/import' contacts to and from your sd card from the stock contacts app? I have exported to my sd card but I haven't checked if it contains all the data you mentioned. Have you tried that?
    There are apps for sms backup there must be one for this. Anyone know?

3. DroidRick

Bingo!
    I haven't tried exporting and then importing to/from SD card yet because I'm too scared!
    I've got quite a lot of contacts now with photos and other data.

Has anyone here exported their contacts to SD card, completely deleted their phone contacts and then imported them from SD?
    How did it work out if you did?

I guess this is a good experiment for someone with just a couple of contacts and not much to lose.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Just make sure all your contacts are google type, then when you get your next android phone they will all appear instantly as they were on your old phone. The joys of the google cloud

5. DroidRick

Still doesn't quite answer my questions from above...

Most of my contacts aren't "google type".
    Will all the data, photos etc. be kept intact?

6. hawnmoke

hawnmoke New Member

I just copied my contacts from my mytouch slide (phone contacts) to the sd card and I imported them to the vibrant and it has everything, the pictures, linked contacts, birthdays, multiple numbers. Way eaiser then the sim.

7. DroidRick

That's jolly good to hear!
    Is the mytouch a T-mobile phone?
    I didn't know they made phones too.