Why custom recovery after perm root?

Last Updated:

1. konoplya

konoplya Member This Topic's Starter

May 30, 2010
    ok so i'm a total noob at this and while i read things on xda forums all that language is way over my head, so please bear with me. i perm rooted my G2 and now i hear people talk about clockwork recovery and baconbits. then words like nandroid and such are flying around... im just confused at this point.

what is clockwork recovery (what is recovery in itself?) and why would i need that? also same goes for bacon bits. and what is nandroid?

i really do appreciate any answers. thank you.

2. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Android has a built in "recovery" mode that you can boot the phone into using a certain key press when the phone is turned on. It varies by phone, on mines its pressing both volume keys and then the power button. The stock android recovery lets you do stuff like wipe out all your data and replace the OS with the stock version. Its used when someone fubars the phone and it basically needs to be reset back to stock. You can also do a full backup of your phone. This is called a nandroid backup.

People install a custom recovery environment (like Clockwork) when they want to install a custom ROM on the phone. You basically copy the ROM file onto the phone and boot into the clockwork recovery environment. From there its a couple quick clicks to install the new ROM.

You really don't need clockwork unless you are planning on installing a new ROM.

Probably the best thing you can do with your now rooted phone is install a backup program like Titanium Backup. The Nandroid backup basically takes a snapshot of your entire phone as it is. Titanium lets you backup and restore specific applications.
    konoplya likes this.