• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why did sprint pull virgin mobiles phones

A lot of what you're naming is labeled as out-of-stock.
That's not to say it won't be back.On the contrary,I don't think they'd label as such if these items were to not return sometime soon.
T-Mobile did something similar w/the Z-MAX.
It had a quality control issue w/a loose battery cover that's not intended to be removed.
Once that was resolved,they started stocking it again.

Upvote 0
The phones are gone all the iPhones all the galaxy's S models everything. Samsung galaxy models had googles security system in it and you cant buy them anymore on virgin mobile. There's a few other things.
It's because the law passed that carriers have to unlock the phones if you request it. The next day they pulled all the unlockable phones.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
This should clear up any doubts/questions/regarding VirginMobile & their unlocking policies.
This has been updated since the law changes regarding device unlocking & devices manufactured BEFORE the law went into affect,which such falls under exemptions/exceptions:
http://virginmobileusa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5815/kw/Sim unlocking

What does it mean for my device to be 'locked'?

The term “locked” typically refers to a device that can only be used with Virgin Mobile services on the Sprint network and cannot be activated on a competing carrier’s network. An “unlocked” device is no longer locked to Virgin Mobile services and the user may attempt to activate it on another carrier’s network. There are generally two scenarios for locking/unlocking:

1. MSL Unlocking: A device is ‘locked’ if it is manufactured with a type of disabling software and a locking code (referred to as ‘Master Subsidy Lock’ or ‘MSL’). Generally speaking, for devices launched before February 2015, an MSL was utilized that locks the device to certain operational parameters for use on with Virgin Mobile services and prevents the device from attempting to be activated on other carriers’ networks. Not all Virgin Mobile devices have an MSL code or a locking function that can be unlocked by Virgin Mobile. And, on certain devices, not all functionality may be unlocked (e.g., for some smartphone devices, only the CDMA/voice functionality of the device may be able to be unlocked but not the GSM/UMTS/LTE portion of the device). Therefore, “unlocking” simply means using the MSL Code and bypassing the lock. Importantly, however, an unlocked device will not necessarily work or be interoperable with another carrier’s network. Additionally, Virgin Mobile devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier’s network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.
  2. SIM Unlocking: A device may also be referred to as ‘locked’ if that device was manufactured with programming restrictions that prevent another carrier’s SIM card from being inserted into the SIM slot for use on a different network. For domestic SIM unlock or DSU-capable devices launched after February 2015, the SIM locking has restrictions, and Virgin Mobile’s ability to unlock these devices or work with the manufacturer of the device to unlock the SIM slot vary. Even if unlocked, Virgin Mobile DSU-capable devices may not work on another carrier's network. Whether an unlocked Virgin Mobile device can be used on another carrier's network is subject to that carrier's policies and network compatibilities. Additionally, Virgin Mobile devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier’s network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.

How can I unlock my device?
Eligible customers can request a DSU-capable device be unlocked and/or request the associated MSL Code by contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-322-1122.

Will Virgin Mobile notify me when my device is eligible to be unlocked/has been unlocked?
No. Virgin Mobile elects to post its unlocking policies and procedures online. However, if you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your DSU-capable device be unlocked and/or request the associated MSL Code, contact Virgin Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-322-1122.

If my DSU-capable device is unlocked, does that mean I will be able to use it with a different carrier?
Unlocking a DSU-capable device simply means removing the programming restrictions that prevent another carrier’s SIM card from being inserted into the SIM slot. Even if unlocked, Virgin Mobile devices may not work on another carrier's network. Whether an unlocked Sprint device can be used on another carrier's network is subject to that carrier's policies and network compatibilities. Additionally, Virgin Mobile devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier’s network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated with Virgin Mobile services.

I have the MSL code for my device. Does that mean that my device is unlocked?
The MSL code may be used to override operational parameters restricting the device to operating with Virgin Mobile services; however, the MSL code alone will not enable certain devices to operate on a different carrier's network. Whether another carrier is able to or will reprogram a device is subject to that carrier's policies and practices. Virgin Mobile devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier’s network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated with Virgin Mobile services.

I've been told by another carrier that Virgin Mobile needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.
For DSU-capable devices (generally devices and device models launched February 2015 or later), Virgin Mobile will unlock the SIM slot for devices that are eligible. If you believe that your device is eligible to be unlocked and want to request a domestic SIM unlock, contact Virgin Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-322-1122.

It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs. Specifically, devices and device models manufactured prior to February 2015 cannot be unlockedto accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Virgin Mobile has no technological process available to do this.

I have been told that my device is not DSU-capable. What can I do?
Many devices that have been manufactured for Virgin Mobile simply are not DSU-capable. This is because, prior to the development of the voluntary commitment contained in CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment") carriers were not required to, and many carriers did not, develop their devices to be DSU-capable.

We strongly encourage owners of such devices to consider Virgin Mobile’s Buyback Program, which may enable you to trade in your old device to receive an account credit. For more information, visithttps://buyback.virginmobileusa.com/vmb/.

I am a former Virgin Mobile customer or was never a Virgin Mobile customer but have purchased a Virgin Mobile device from a third party other than Virgin Mobile. Can I have the device unlocked or receive the MSL code?
For individual owners who can provide the Virgin Mobile telephone number or device ID, Virgin Mobile may be able to unlock the device and/or provide the applicable MSL Code, provided the device is eligible under the applicable policy above. If a device is not eligible for any reason under the respective applicable policy, a non-Virgin Mobile customer requestor may be required to work with the original purchaser and/or the person from whom the requestor purchased the device to ensure any financial or device eligibility criteria are met.

Virgin Mobile cannot share any information about any account, including with a non-Virgin Mobile customer who has legally purchased a Virgin Mobile device, without proper authentication from the account holder or an authorized contact. Customers are strongly encouraged to contact Virgin Mobile about a device’s unlock eligibility before purchasing through a non-Virgin Mobile channel.

Will Virgin Mobile unlock another carrier’s phone?
No, Virgin Mobile will not unlock devices from other wireless carriers. Please contact the wireless carrier from whom you obtained the device.

Will Virgin Mobile allow unlocked devices from other wireless carriers on its network?
Generally, Virgin Mobile will only activate devices that have been certified to work with Virgin Mobile services and will not activate unlocked devices from other carriers/service providers, including devices manufactured for Sprint, Boost Mobile and Assurance Wireless. Devices designed for other wireless carriers may not interoperate with Virgin Mobile’s services and may cause service degradation and/or other poor customer experiences.

This policy is subject to change without notice at Sprint’s discretion. Updated 2/11/2015.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones