Why did they change the menu button?General

1. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

So why did they change the menu button on the EVO 3D? On the other 2 EVO line phones it simply says "menu". Now it looks like a bunch of lines... (I am probably late to the party here and others have noticed this, but just wondering what others think).

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Probably because the same phone, same name, with a different radio is headed to Europe.

Easier to just leave the English off the face and change radios (and sim card capability) than change more things per market.

Which - just explained the real reason it's not being called the Evo 3D 4G! :p
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

And most other Android phones use an icon for menu. Personally I like the consistency. But I can see how HTC originally thought that the typical image used for "menu" was not very intuitive.

They also simplified the little house icon for the home button. The Evo's house has a chimney, and the roof overhangs the walls.

The Evo 3D house looks more like home plate.

This is all of course really really important stuff :)
  4. RichboyJhae

RichboyJhae Well-Known Member

Omg the EVO3D suxx so harddd!!! Nubody carez abt 3d, all it is is a stpid gimick. And pls they chnged the hous and menu bttn and it lukz retrrddedd. Im getting a galaxy S2, cuz the super amold plss screen luks bettr den real life!
  5. lordofthereef

Cool. Thanks.
    cnote1287 and arado58 like this.
  6. EarlyMon

lma0 - good one. :D
  7. momentandroid

momentandroid Well-Known Member

cool story bro.
  8. EarlyMon

Guess I'm the only one familiar enough with Richboyjhae to enjoy the tongue-in-cheek stand-up comedy in that post.

Punchline translation: notice how cool it is that this forum hasn't drawn that for reals. ;)
    RichboyJhae likes this.
  9. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

OMG. WTF, I want my house back! Seriously, does HTC think we're too poor to afford a house with a chimney now or something?

This phone better be priced at $150 to at least atone for the plain, crappier house now...
    EarlyMon and RichboyJhae like this.
  10. RichboyJhae

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't serious guys.
  11. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

You sure? cause I wanted that super a-moldy screen too.
  12. RichboyJhae

Lol I've used many Galaxy Devices to see all the hype around the Super-Amoled screens and its really hit or miss with it. Some pictures look really good, others don't. Often however, my EVO showed more detail while the Super-Amoled screen was just a giant blur of over-saturated colors. Also, everything on the Super-Amoled is tinted dark blue, even with brightness at a maximum. It really bothers me looking at the device and not getting a true white. Which is why I prefer the SLCD screen, Improved quality, and true colors along with that qHD res :D
  13. EarlyMon

OK - so I guess we're done with the menu button discussions. ;)

Should I lock this one - or should we have a screen tech thread - or ?
  14. lordofthereef

Either way is fine by me. I like tangents ;)
  15. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

This is madness!!!
  16. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

17. EarlyMon

^snicker

Srsly - I'm not sure I like the streamlined home button - do people not like chimneys??

And is three or four lines a good menu icon?? Do menus look like that??

Reminds me of the history of Chinese ideograms - they started out very much like pictures of what they meant, but over time became symbolic until many bear no resemblance to a picture of the thing - sometimes simplifying, other times getting more complex.
    lordofthereef likes this.
  18. lordofthereef

That's a fine analogy. LOL

Hmmmm HTC is a Chinese company aren't they?
  19. RichboyJhae

Taiwanese... THERE'S A DIFFERENCE YOU INSENSITIVE JERK!!!!!!
  20. lordofthereef

My B. Same character formation and dialects though, right? :)
  21. EarlyMon

OK - before this lights up - "you insensitive clod!" is a common and friendly meme at Slashdot.org - one I wish I could use here, but expect it would be not understood.

So - the above was.... what please? Political or playful?
  22. EarlyMon

Same families, separated by a straight. There is an indigenous people on the island - just like we have Native Americans - but on the whole, the population of Taiwan tends to identify themselves as Taiwanese as a nationality, Chinese as a people.

OK - it doesn't come out exactly right in English unless you're Taiwanese and then it gets explained more clearly. That's the best I can do.

But - the T in HTC does stand for Taiwan (just kidding - it stands for Tech), so as a company, it's Taiwanese, not Chinese.

Mandarin Chinese is the predominant language, as opposed to Cantonese - but the writing is effectively the same - a mixture of Han character sets, with some regional dialectic differences.

(Remember - I've lived there.)
  23. lordofthereef

I am not offended (if that is what you are worried about).
  24. EarlyMon

I'm glad - but my j.o.b. says to make sure of the intent anyway - it'll certainly help in the long run.
  25. RichboyJhae

I was joking around, no hard feelings intended.
    lordofthereef and EarlyMon like this.