• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you buy the Eris?

lilbballer27

Android Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2010
www.thecelldudes.com
While I was wondering today why everyone who owns the Eris actually bought it? I personally bought mine, because it was cheaper than Moto Droid, a lot smaller and a hell of a lot nicer looking. I also bought the Eris over a blackberry, because of the android marketplace and how its open source. It has way more apps than a blackberry would. The last reason I decided to purchase the Eris was the price. It was only $79.99 when I purchased mine and that is a hell of a deal on a smart phone.

Those are my reasons on buying the Eris, but why did you buy it?

I had a blackberry and hated it. The Eris was cheaper, smaller, and nicer than the Droid, and for what I use it for, it is just as good. I am just waiting for Navigation, and then its all even as far as Im concerned.

Yes I had the curve for a little while, and did not like it at all. What is navigation? is that another phone coming out or are you talking about an app? lol Sorry I do not know all the new apps or phones coming out. I am new to this Android game lol.

Upvote 0
Cheaper and smaller than the Droid. When we got our Eris', it was our first smartphone. I wasn't into them and never really wanted one. Once I saw all of the stuff that it could do, I caved. I've played with the iphone (but AT&T service sucks around here) and with a BB. The iphone was cool, but I hated the BB. The Eris fit my needs. Small, Cheap, and with just about everything I wanted to do (GoogleNav would be nice).

Upvote 0
Bought mine in December. I was deciding between Droid and Droid Eris. The Eris was cheaper than Droid ($0 instead of $99 with my NE2), smaller in size and shape, and had Sense UI's proprietary widgets and Facebook integration.

The *only* reason I still considered the Droid was for Google Navigation, but of course the salesman said the Droid Eris would gain Google Navigation "within a couple of weeks."

I also considered holding out for a rumored HTC phone with a Snapdragon processor that was expected in January. I'm glad I didn't wait for that.

Upvote 0
Needed a phone. Thats pretty much all there was to it. My wifes phone died a few weeks back and my new every 2 just came up so i did the research and found the droid eris to be the best verizon had to offer. The next day the devour came out, but i wasn't interested in it. Since then i haven't looked back. I even rooted mine 2 nights ago and am enjoying the benefits.

Plus 2 smartphones for only $29, it was buy one get one free. I mean i couldn't beat that with a stick if i wanted to.

Upvote 0
I know I keep hearing about how great the incredible will be and I checked with my friend at Verizon unfortunately i will not be able to return my eris to get the incredible, but all i heard was that the incredible is basically the Eris on steroids lol, but I love my Eris.

Remember that the Incredible is presumably going to be more expensive than the Eris was, so take comfort in that. And all the people who buy an Incredible on contract will have to wait longer before they can get an LTE ("4G") phone when those arrive. :)

Upvote 0
I've wanted a smartphone for the last couple of years, And I was at the point in my contract where I got the new every 2 discount.. I got $100 off any phone AFTER the new contract price, and the eris was only $99 when I got it :)

I didn't really know about it until I started looking at phones to upgrade to, But I knew I didn't like the Moto DRoid because it was just ugly to me lol..

After playing with the Eris at the Verizon store, I just had to have one.. The screen felt more responsive than the Moto Droid to me.. and the Sense UI is honestly what made me buy it.. The first time i went from the home screen through all of the 6 other home screens and played with the widgets and stuff, I had to have it! lol..
Not to mention Moto Droid didnt have MultiTouch at the time either.. ;)

Upvote 0
I struggled to decide between the Eris and the Droid; I spent a long time on two successive days trying each of them out, side by side. The Droid is heavy, I knew that it had a known build issue with the battery door, and, after trying out the keyboard, I knew that I would rarely use it. As I was far more accurate with the Eris's on-screen keyboard, that made me lean that way. The cost actually had little to do with it - over the course of the time I will have the phone, what I pay up front for the phone is very little by comparison.

Upvote 0
Remember that the Incredible is presumably going to be more expensive than the Eris was, so take comfort in that. And all the people who buy an Incredible on contract will have to wait longer before they can get an LTE ("4G") phone when those arrive. :)

Yes I figured it would be way more expensive. Like I stated above I bought my Eris for 80 bucks that is not bad at all. The incredible will prob be like 299.99 for the 2 year contract price. Its just a 3G phone no 4G right? because now I can just wait until my next upgrade for a 4G phone.

Upvote 0
Yes I had the curve for a little while, and did not like it at all. What is navigation? is that another phone coming out or are you talking about an app? lol Sorry I do not know all the new apps or phones coming out. I am new to this Android game lol.

Google Maps has a turn-by-turn navigation option that is only on phones running 2.1. The Droid has it and the Nexus One has it. The Eris has a leaked version of 2.1, meaning it's from VZW and will be released at some point, but this isn't the finished product.

You have to flash this 2.1 ROM to your phone and isn't authorized for the Eris yet. When you do this, you can have Navigation on your Eris as well. Otherwise, you have 1.5 and that has no Navigation, but still has Google Maps.

Upvote 0
Heck, I don't know why I bought the darned thing. I buy a lot of things that later on I realize I don't know why I bought them.

I must have 25 or so potato peelers of different sizes and types. Not to mention all those decks of cards, ice cream scoops, sox, ties, hats (53 at last count), Beanie Babies, bottles of fuel injector cleaner, packages of chewing gum, staplers, hammers, laser pointers, place mats and matching coasters, boots, wind-breaker types of jackets, cordless power screw drivers (I still get those as presents on birthdays and Christmas, this fact has caused me to understand mass murder of co-workers and family members)...

Holey moley, I'm sounding like Andy Rooney.

Upvote 0
Google Maps has a turn-by-turn navigation option that is only on phones running 2.1. The Droid has it and the Nexus One has it. The Eris has a leaked version of 2.1, meaning it's from VZW and will be released at some point, but this isn't the finished product.

You have to flash this 2.1 ROM to your phone and isn't authorized for the Eris yet. When you do this, you can have Navigation on your Eris as well. Otherwise, you have 1.5 and that has no Navigation, but still has Google Maps.

Oh ok thank you for clearing that up for me lol.

Upvote 0
I got mine because it was free. My dad had purchased one and I was all like "I want one!" and he was all like "Go get one. they are buy one get one free and I just bought mine so add it on." and so I went into Verizon and was all like "GIVE!"

Also I thought the Moto Droid was kinda weak sauce. That flat keyboard seems pretty pointless. Only 3 home screens and it just plain doesn't look as cool. So that is that! :cool:

Upvote 0
I had a curve and I got sick of it when I kept trying to download apps which only in turn made it lag. The curve was so slow and lagggy and browsing on it was a joke. I Started playing with the Droid and the Eris when they came out at the verizon stores. I felt like the Droid was way to big and clunky, I just didn't likee the look or feel of it. The Eris really impressed me, it was smalll, quick and I loved the idea of widgets and scenes. So after about of month of playing and debate I snagged my mothers upgrade and got me an Eris haha

Upvote 0
I had a curve and I got sick of it when I kept trying to download apps which only in turn made it lag. The curve was so slow and lagggy and browsing on it was a joke. I Started playing with the Droid and the Eris when they came out at the verizon stores. I felt like the Droid was way to big and clunky, I just didn't likee the look or feel of it. The Eris really impressed me, it was smalll, quick and I loved the idea of widgets and scenes. So after about of month of playing and debate I snagged my mothers upgrade and got me an Eris haha

Mom didn't need it anyway.

Upvote 0
Honestly, before I bought the phone, I would have bought an iPhone if Verizon offered it. Now, I'm hooked on android.
But I'm coming from a dumb phone, and I wanted a smartphone. I didn't want a WinMo phone or BB, so I was choosing between a Moto Droid and an Eris.
The biggest thing for me was size. I carry my phone in my pocket all the time, and I didn't want a brick in my pocket. Secondly, I found the physical keyboard for the Moto Droid to be almost useless. I like sense, but with Helix, sense is kind of a moot point (but I didn't know that when I bought the phone). Lastly, I hate all Motorola products. It sounds like people aren't having the usual Motorola problems (fragile phone, poor reception, etc.) with the Droid, but at the time I was worried those problems would start cropping up (I bought my phone a few weeks after both were released).
Overall, I'm happy with the Eris. My biggest complaint is the processor. I wish it were faster, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. Now, I wish I could have had enough patience to wait for the Incredible, but I'm an instant gratification guy.

Upvote 0
Got sick of blackberries. I had 3 of them. and i knew I wanted a android based phone after i saw my friends G1. Was planning on gettin the hero... But then I found out that the Eris was a variant of the hero and was better overall and was 100$ cheaper. Then I knew I was getting the Eris!! The droid wasn't my type of phone. Way to ugly... And I like the virtual keyboard lol.

Upvote 0
I had a curve and loved it, and i went to get another one, and the verizon store said that the newest curve blew. My friend has a G1 and i really liked the OS, so it was down between the moto and the eris. And i have heard from so many moto owners that they dont use the keyboard just the touch screen one. And plus i didnt want a brick in my pocket all day, i had that with the samsung i760 already haha.

Upvote 0
Heck, I don't know why I bought the darned thing. I buy a lot of things that later on I realize I don't know why I bought them.

I must have 25 or so potato peelers of different sizes and types. Not to mention all those decks of cards, ice cream scoops, sox, ties, hats (53 at last count), Beanie Babies, bottles of fuel injector cleaner, packages of chewing gum, staplers, hammers, laser pointers, place mats and matching coasters, boots, wind-breaker types of jackets, cordless power screw drivers (I still get those as presents on birthdays and Christmas, this fact has caused me to understand mass murder of co-workers and family members)...

Holey moley, I'm sounding like Andy Rooney.

Here I thought you were Andy Rooney. No matter, you are just as funny and a lot cooler, Frisco.

I bought the Eris because it was cheaper than the Droid and it was either the Droid or Eris. I used my husband's upgrade. He was happy to stay with his dumb phone. Since I got it in Nov. my son has been clamoring for me to get him one. He is due for an upgrade in Sep. and I might give him mine and use his upgrade for an Incredible or something else....if he has a job so he can pay for the $30 data charge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones