• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you choose Android instead of IOS?

I also asked myself sometimes why I never had an iOS powered devices.

Maybe the first ownership plays an important role for later purchases. My first handheld device with a real OS was a Psion bought in 1997, a couple of other devices I have owned were shipped with Windows CE. Then came the GPS and PDA with Windows Mobiles as operating system. I remember my Mio GPS and a Dell PDA running Windows Mobiles.

Upvote 0
for me, it is a heavy distaste for anything Apple and their regimented control over what I can, or can't do. Apple pissed me off back in 1981 when I needed to add more RAM to my computer and they wanted more $$$$ for 64 mBtyes of RAM than I could buy a whole damn 286 computer for....

I had 5 Apple machines at the time, and I just up and advertised them all in the paper, $3,000 and you can have them all, all or none, and they disappeared the same day.....

I then bought a very good 286 and never looked back. I will never allow an iOS device in my house again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this is true, I won't regret my choice for Android.
You get this with Nougat although Samsung tablets have had it a couple of years now. Multi-Screen or Split Screen something like that means two apps at once. Now that Google supports it I expect more and more apps to be Multi-Screen compatible.

Upvote 0
In 2000 something or other I had an iPod, I liked it but hated iTunes. It would lock my laptop up and was so cumbersome to use. I decided I didn't like Apple. When I was contemplating joining the 'in crowd' and looking at smartphones I knew it would not be Apple's iPhone, I had heard rumor of something called Android. Since I was a Googler anyway I figured it was right for me. Had to wait 'til Verizon got on board with the Moto Droid though.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
No freedom and just being a non conformist. I bought an HTC EVO 4G and was blown away by that phone. It was more more powerful than the iPhone 3/4 at the time. (Owning a Nexus and a couple of Notes (and rooting)helped cement my loyalty to Android) Also, Apple's accessories are more expensive overall.
Actually the HTC EVO 4G kinda sucks now then back when it came out it run games smoothly but ram and storage sucked and it gad a older OS Gingerbrea

Upvote 0
Why did you choose Android instead of IOS?

Choice.

I want a "smartphone" to be just that... smart. I want the info I consider important when I want it, in the way I want it. The regimented iOS UI didn't, and still doesn't, appeal to me.

I also appreciate a choice of handset design and features. Everyone is unique, after all. ;)

Upvote 0
My last two phones were iPhones (5 and 6). Before that, I had owned two Android phones (G1 and Droid Incredible). I like the idea of greater choice with an Android phone--customization, default apps, etc. Plus, the iOS 10 update with its terrible and confusing notification system broke iOS for me. Not to mention the removal of the 3.5mm jack. After 4 years on iOS, it was time for a change. I will admit that my homescreen isn't much different on my V20 than it was on my iPhone 6, but it feels much more powerful and versatile. I'm not saying I'll never go back to iOS, but I'm really impressed with how Android has matured and advanced over the last 4 years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones