1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Why did you choose Android instead of IOS?

Last Updated:

1. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It's not only Apple, AFAIK there's many devices that are always exclusive to Verizon and can only be had from Verizon, e.g. Droid phones and Ellipsis tablets. I'm sure there's other exclusive lock-ins as well, with AT&T, Sprint, etc. We certainly don't have anything like that here in People's Republic of China. Phones here are always unlocked, no subsidies, no mandatory contracts, and will usually work on any network, and quite democratic actually.

Quite frankly I've got idea that some US carriers are more akin to Stalinist dictatorships than freedom and democracy. Verizon Wireless "Big Red = Big Brother". :)

Advertisement
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Sento

Sento Well-Known Member

I like having the freedom an android gives you - apple pushes out OTAs on their devices every 2 years drastically killing their performance so people will buy the newer stuff. Also, I don't like being a corporate tool and slave to society, and the idea of buying stuff just to show off disgusts me when there are still so many people in the US that don't have food and shelter this winter.

3. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

My wife has never had this issue of Apple purposely slowing down a device.
    She has been an iPhone user since the 3g and is currently the 6 plus

4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

has she upgraded .. within 3 yrs of each device?

5. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

No
    She went from the 3g to the 4 and stayed with the 4 until 6 months ago.

6. Sento

Sento Well-Known Member

The only way I can believe is if she just uses her phone as a phone... I had the 4 and i remember within the next year the internet was blowing up with people complaining about how the latest ios update rendered their phones too slow to do anything, because apple is all about planned obsolescence to get people to keep upgrading - in the store they tell you the products will last a lifetime, when you call tech support they tell you that your 2 year old devices is obsolete, you should upgrade.

7. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

You don't have to update an iPhone: my daughter used to have a 4s, and when friends who updated theirs found them running slower she just didn't update (she didn't like Johnny Ive's changes to the UI anyway, so didn't consider it a loss).

lunatic59 likes this.
  8. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

She uses her phone like I do... She uses social media apps, texting, internet browsing, and phone calls.
    You don't HAVE to believe me. You can assume that I like to get onessage boards and lie for the sake of lieing......

9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

You too? ;) :D

10. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

lunatic59 likes this.
  11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The same could apply to any Android device. If you're still getting OS updates after 2yrs consider yourself very fortunate.

I don't believe Apple tech support would tell an owner their 2yr-old device is "obsolete". The iPhone 5S, for example. is still in production and happily running the latest iOS.

MLSS likes this.