• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you choose the s over x

I dont have it yet but the reasons for me why i want S over X are these:

- Lower price because i have limited budget. And even that the One S is also quite pricy right now. I can have Galaxy Nexus or SGSII for 20% lower price..

- This will be my first android phone and i want to keep the size of the phone down. 4.7" seems to be too big screen for me and optimal would be around 4" with very small bezels. I just dont want such a big device like One X to carry every day in the pocket.

- I really like the alluminium unibody with MAO threatment and super small thickness.

- Higher performance because of Snapdragon S4 and longer battery life. I dont even like the idea of having quadcore, seems to be useless..

For me i see advantages in One X these:
-NFC - its nice but i wont be most likely use it anyway

-32GB storage - yeah this is much nicer than 16GB in One S, but i think that its going to be enough for me

-Nicer screen - As a lot people said One S screen is still a very nice and its superior to almost everything except few phones like One X or Galaxy Nexus. Of course i would like non-pentile amoled display instead but i am quite sure that One S screen will be overwhelmingly awesome for me anyway so i can live with it :)

Upvote 0
The X is too big and I had concerns over battery life, quad core is all about corporate willy waving at the moment....maybe in a few years there will be apps, games and batteries available to fully utilise quad cores but dual core is perfect at the moment....i'm on hour no. 28 with my One-S and its just dipped below 10% battery. Perfect screen size, lovely metal build and an outstanding chipset/battery combination....a proper smart phone again.

Upvote 0
I've just placed an order for the S over the X after much agonizing. I chose it for the smaller form factor as the X was too wide for me to hold comfortably, plus I'm aware it's duel core processor drains less battery while still being very fast (in fact I found the handset to actually be a tad faster than the X navigating menus etc). The only gripe I have is that the screen is no where near as nice as the one found on the X, I really did love that :(

Upvote 0
i held it in my hand today at the t-mo store and had a htc rep give me a demo of the camera. i loved how it felt. and that camera is unbelievable. i sure am hesitant about leaving big red, been with them a looooong time, but if the incredible 4g isn't this phones near equal i may just switch. it really impressed me, i love htc sense. it just makes sense.

Upvote 0
I got the S over the X due to size - all new phones I looked at are huge - I don't feel the need to have such a big screen.

I've had the phone a week now and am a little disappointed with battery life.
I think I'm doing something wrong.
The first few days I was on it all the time playing with it so I can understand needing to charge it half way through the day.
The past couple of days I've barely used it at all and it just makes it from morning to morning without charging.
I'm afraid to spend any time playing games on it due to the rate it drains power.
If you's have any tips on saving battery I'll take them.
(I turn off WiFi all the time, I don't have location based services on).

I'm also struggling with push mail - I've posted in the HTC thread if anyone fancies a crack at helping me:
htc/538515-new-user-push-mail-ics.html

I'm happy with the phone as a whole and I know I can sort of these niggles.

Upvote 0
Because I have US T-Mobile, so I had no choice. :)

So far it's a great phone coming from a lagtastic Vibrant w/ stock Froyo 2.2. The speed of the One S and ICS is incredible, and having a working GPS is nice too.

Only one issue so far on Day #4: T-Mo's bloatware app "More for Me" suddenly decided to turn on my GPS without me ever having opened the app, let alone give it location permissions, which drained the battery about 50% before I'd noticed it (using the "what's using my battery" page). I've since disabled it (and all the other bloatware apps) in the setup/apps page. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

By the way I just read some Anandtech benchmarks that show the One S actually beats the One X (Tegra3) in quite a few tests, so no buyer remorse here.

AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone

Upvote 0
Only one issue so far on Day #4: T-Mo's bloatware app "More for Me" suddenly decided to turn on my GPS without me ever having opened the app, let alone give it location permissions, which drained the battery about 50% before I'd noticed it (using the "what's using my battery" page). I've since disabled it (and all the other bloatware apps) in the setup/apps page. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
Ok. Found the place to do that. Didn't know that was there. So in ICS, you can effectively "freeze" bloatware apps without root (like you can do with Titanium with root)?

If you "disable" the app using that screen, does it remove it from your applocker and stops it from being able to run/get loaded in memory at all?

Any idea what will happen when there is a system update? Will they have to be re-enabled for the system update to take effect (like you typically have to do when freezing with titanium)? Will they become re-enabled after a system update? I guess I better keep a list of which ones I disable.

Upvote 0
I choose the One S thus far because of its design. For the first 3 days i had this phone i marveled at how slim it is and all the subtle design cues. I still cant understand how they managed to squeeze everything into such a small frame, time lord technology. (and yes i held the new razr but its not the same because of that huge camel hump it has at the top).

And after using it for over a week this phone is a BEAST. It chews right thru whatever you throw at it and then some, not to mention that battery life has been really good.

Reactions: as439726
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones