• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why did you get a droid over the eris?

I've had a Droid since December, but when I had the Eris for most of November, I thought it was an extremely well built phone. It just felt solid to me unlike the Droid which feels very wobbly with all of the seams and moving parts.

I love the Droid's keyboard (it works great and I can type quite fast on it) and d-pad, but I think I want a single piece phone in the future.

You should see if you can find a HTC Legend to play with. :) Aluminium unibody--sturdiest Android phone to date.

Upvote 0
We have both. Eris battery life is horrid. It's not a bad phone though. My Droid still has camera focus issues even on 2.0.1, I called this morning and they are sending me another.

I upgraded my wife to 2.1 on her Eris so it has the same features. However, we noticed certain apps on Verizon are not available. Such as, MLB AT BAT.

It was on there with her 1.5, but when we upgraded her it was gone and it's not in the Market Place under that version that was leaked.

Upvote 0
I got mine on launch day. While at the Verizon store waiting on a rep to buy the droid I saw the Eris next to the droid. Noticed it was 100 dollars cheaper so I took a look. Was immediatly put off by how slow it was compared to the droid. Plus I liked how the droid felt in my hands. The other positives for the droid was the fast browser, physical keyboard, google maps/nav, and the screen. Of course knowing now that the screen is gorilla glass and the dev community behind it helps now to lol

Upvote 0
originally the physical keyboard was a huge plus, but after a month, i stopped using it. was almost wishing i had an eris, but after tons of researching, the Droid is faster, stronger, more memory, just all around better in the ares where it counts.
If droid came out with no keyboard that'd be fantastic !

If you really don't want the physical keyboard, why not wait it out for the HTC EVO? That has everything you could ever think of except a physical keyboard. :)

Upvote 0
If you really don't want the physical keyboard, why not wait it out for the HTC EVO? That has everything you could ever think of except a physical keyboard. :)

Except it is on Sprint, which I am still a little unsure about the network. The EVO may be my next phone though and I will take my chances. If I stay with Verizon I am getting the N1 on release day, if that ever comes!

Upvote 0
Back to topic, the physical keyboard was a HUGE selling point for me (having come from a Treo, I was a little unsure about foregoing one altogether), but can't say I use it very much now. The screen size was also a big issue for me, again because of the Treo, though in this case it was to break the other way and get something I could actually enjoy a movie on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Yeah. Sure it takes a little getting used to (in my case 5 texts...haha), but I think its fine. The flat keys both make the phone slimmer and make the button travel alot less.

Yeah, the only complaint I have is that they chose to lock the keys to a rectangular grid instead of the staggered columns a computer's QWERTY keyboard has, but I got used to that fairly quickly.

Upvote 0
For me it was as much the company making the phone. I had bad luck with HTC. I have had great luck with Motorola. I had 2 different models of RAZRs and a ROKR and not one problem with any of them (besides me messing with them). But I had bought an HTC Tilt that worked fine for about six months, crapped out (hardware not winmo problems), replaced with 4 refurbs and finally an HTC Fuze. Well the Fuze never really had problems but I never liked it as well, so when my contract was up I jumped ship to Verizon and back to Moto.

Sure it was probably bad luck with HTC but I won't go back. Also they seemed to care less about upgrading their devices, just wanting to sell you a new one. If it weren't for this (seemingly Google) mandated upgrade to 2.1, I don't think the eris ever would have seen it without custom ROMs. I believe motorola would have gone 2.1 on their own.

Of course I liked the keyboard and screen size and 2.0, processor etc., all of which justified the price difference. And from the rumors and leaked specs I was ready to buy the Droid in September.

Upvote 0
i went with the droid over the eris because, at the time, verizon was running buy a droid get the eris for free. and i like to be able to tell i have a phone in my hand, so the weight and size of the droid(i dont use the slide out keyboard EVER, the top row of buttons is too close to the screen and i cant press them very easily) was the main deciding factor in my picking the droid over the eris. my husband, however, went with the eris, and is quite happy with it

Upvote 0
i cant quote all oc you that said you had bad luck with HTC, but i would like to point out that you hated HTC on windows mobile, and believe me i hate HTC on windows too but some of you want the EVO or the Nexus or the Desire or the Incredible, all of which are made by HTC

but i have to agree the Droid is faster

i think the only reason i didn't get it is because i didn't like all the bugs and i didn't like how rushed the phone was, Verizon wanted an iPhone with flash and keyboard and removable battery so moto made one as quick as possible, which when you look at the devour, it says to me that motorola was trying to fix the droid design flaws

now that the price has dropped on the droid, if i was starting over, i would probably get the droid, but i'm happy waiting for my nexus

Upvote 0
Good luck with the Nexus. Most people could tell that the Eris was not going to be very good when they saw how well the Hero did on Sprint. Sure, it sold well but it just isn't a very good example of an android phone.

If LG makes an android phone for Verizon, that will be something to dump the Droid for. Right now, the only other tempting Verizon phone that has been rumored would be the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I don't see the Devour as superior to the Droid in any way. Build quality so-so, Keyboard still lacking, screen inferior, no more power, smaller SD outta the box, etc. Processing and memory are moot with all the private development done on droid (root, rom, oc, etc.)Just my impression after handling one (devour) at Best Buy for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
I don't see the Devour as superior to the Droid in any way. Build quality so-so, Keyboard still lacking, screen inferior, no more power, smaller SD outta the box, etc. Processing and memory are moot with all the private development done on droid (root, rom, oc, etc.)Just my impression after handling one (devour) at Best Buy for a few minutes.

totally agree, devour < anything
but i feel like i could throw the devour accross the room and not worry about the phone but the droid i worry just holding it, plus all those peoplpe complaing about the battery door falling off

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones