Why did you pick or consider a Captivate?

Why or why not Captivate? Please vote

1. I wanted an Android phone specifically and this is the best one on AT&T.

37 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. I ditched my iPhone 4 for a Captivate because....

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. I upgraded from an older iPhone and was curious what this Android thing is.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I left iPhone because I wanted the open platform of Android.

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. I ditched/upgraded XXX (non-iPhone) for Captivate

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. I grabbed a Captivate because iPhone 4s problems and/or availability.

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. I RETURNED my Captivate for iPhone4 (specifically) because of problems

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. I RETURNED my Captivate for something else because of Captivate problems.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I PICKED iPhone 4 (specifically) because I heard about the Captivate problems (never owned one).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I PICKED "other" (non iphone) because I heared about the Captivate issues (never owned one).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Last Updated:

1. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, just out of sheer curiosity, why did you choose the Captivate phone instead of a ------. Why would you consider picking a Captivate instead of a -----. Why did you pick a Captivate but then echange it for ----- phone? Why did you pick ----- phone instead of a Captivate.

The more that participate the better the data, you dont need to post anything if you dont want, just click a few buttons is all I ask.

Just for the record, I picked the Captivate because:
    -I was curoius about Android.
    -I upgraded from iPhone 3g and was board with the "walled garden"
    -Iphone 4 had problems and was on a 1 month waiting list

Although it isn't perfect, I am not looking back!

Advertisement
  2. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

The Captivate is the only decent Android offering at AT&T. I've been an AT&T customer for 8+ years, and don't plan on switching, so grabbing a different Android phone from another carrier is out of the question. Since I won't buy an iPhone for a slew of reasons, the Captivate is pretty much all that's left.

3. garyHal

garyHal Member

A, c, d, f,

4. kspec1212

kspec1212 Member

I was a crackberry addict. Had the 9700 and loved it, but traded that in because the torch came out before my 30 days was up. The torch was so bad (slow, terrible screen, really heavy, strange to hold with keyboard out) that I ditched it and went for a captivate. I don't think RIM has the ability to catch up with Android and I didn't want to be stuck for a year or two with inferior technology.

Once I upgraded to android, I had a lot of anxiety about losing BBM, but after a week I got over it. I loved the captivate so much that it made me forget about BBM and I now make all my blackberry friends use regular old text messaging.

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

The fruit got boring

6. pac0naut

pac0naut Well-Known Member

I've had AT&T since the start of our business, and frankly the upgrades and the way we get treated is absolutely top notch. We have 4 phones on our account and have upgraded 3 of them in the last month. They treat us very well when we upgrade and give us great value and service.

As far as the phone goes, I've been waiting to jump into the Droid foray, but I wasn't going to bother with the Backflip piece of crap. The Aria looked cool, but it was way too small for my taste. As soon as the Galaxy S line was announced I had my mind made up that I was waiting for it.

7. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

I was originally waiting to see if an HTC Desire was to come out for AT&T, I got tired of nothing being confirmed. (Which nothing still has). I read up on the Captivate, my second option, and discovered that it not only had a faster processor but also a better GPU chip and an better Super AMOLED screen. That sold me on the Captivate and I picked it up about a week later.

8. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

9. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

im not leaving AT&T, i had an upgrade available and its the first high end android device they offered. plus i was getting tired of how blackberry was so behind with everything.

10. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

it was the only android att had. I was going to get the N1, but I was 2 days late, google stopped selling them. I wont buy a used N1, or any phone. I gotta stay with att, so captivate was my only option

11. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Yep, this is my experience too. Plus the one app I need from the Palm OS is supposedly going to come out on the Droid soon, so it was time.

12. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

Through my employer, the ATT corporate discount is the best among the major carriers. I had a 3G for two years and immediately upgraded to the 4, but all it's problems were annoying. I wanted to switch to Android. The Captivate still has issues, but not as annoying as the iPhones were (I can make calls!)

13. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member

I had WM when I came to AT&T 5 years ago. WM seemed fine when I first started using it, but it seemed that WM never kept up with the better, faster hardware and software. Apple was out of the question, so was Blackberry. I read about Android when it first came out, and was interested, and when the captivate was released, I knew I had to have it. Even with the lag and GPS problems, this is the best phone I have ever had.

14. kmeyers02

kmeyers02 Active Member

My girlfriend and I wanted to get on a family plan, both coming from BBs on TMo. Iphone4 was the first phone we looked at. She wasn't too thrilled with it, thought it was ok, but wanted to check out the Captivate which came out 3 days later. I was happy to wait and check out the Cap as I was very curious about android. A big reason she wanted to wait for it (as another person stated) was the radiation level, as she just went through chemo so she's concerned with things like this. When we messed around with it we both liked it, and ordered it through Amazon that night. So radiation was a big factor, but other little ones played in such as Iphone antena problem, Iphone availability (4 weeks and my BB was busted), and price (got 2 Caps for $200). All in all we're both very happy and will be extremely happy when GPS and Froyo come to this phone.