• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why didn't Motorola Polish the Touchless Feature

hisense

Jul 31, 2014
I have only had the Moto X for a few days. So far its met and in some cases exceeded my expectations. It is a very good phone, I enjoy using it as opposed to just using it.

Touchless Makes a Difference
With the Touchless functionality I can get handy things done like: check flight status, time in other countries, send a SMS, play music, get directions with turn by turn voice guidance, set reminders, set wake me alarms, get weather updates, have my SMSs read aloud while I am doing something else with my hands, etc.

Two Items That Would Immediately Improve the Experience
I can think of two import 'user-real-life-limitations' that spoil the otherwise very useful and fun nature of using Touchless commands:

1) There should be voice commands that control the settings of the phone. It just makes sense from the start. And completes the feature's concept itself---anyone would expect it to be there from the start.

2) In today's world everyone is telling me security matters a lot. So obviously, I added an Unlock Code/PIN. Now, when I am driving because I have an Unlock PIN and an NFC Skip paired to the phone, I can't voice command an SMS without being prompted to manually unlock my phone (the phone actually tells me to do this (and likely expects me to unlock via NFC which I can't find sometimes) in order to send.

There is a system setting that helps a bit by enabling a few apps to buy pass this enter PIN requirement (i.e., place a call is one example), but SMS is not listed as an option.

I have only had the Moto X for a few days. So far its met and in some cases exceeded my expectations. It is a very good phone, I enjoy using it as opposed to just using it.

Touchless Makes a Difference
With the Touchless functionality I can get handy things done like: check flight status, time in other countries, send a SMS, play music, get directions with turn by turn voice guidance, set reminders, set wake me alarms, get weather updates, have my SMSs read aloud while I am doing something else with my hands, etc.

Two Items That Would Immediately Improve the Experience
I can think of two import 'user-real-life-limitations' that spoil the otherwise very useful and fun nature of using Touchless commands:

1) There should be voice commands that control the settings of the phone. It just makes sense from the start. And completes the feature's concept itself---anyone would expect it to be there from the start.

2) In today's world everyone is telling me security matters a lot. So obviously, I added an Unlock Code/PIN. Now, when I am driving because I have an Unlock PIN and an NFC Skip paired to the phone, I can't voice command an SMS without being prompted to manually unlock my phone (the phone actually tells me to do this (and likely expects me to unlock via NFC which I can't find sometimes) in order to send.

There is a system setting that helps a bit by enabling a few apps to buy pass this enter PIN requirement (i.e., place a call is one example), but SMS is not listed as an option.

Touchless Controls piggyback off of Google Now. While Motorola has added some features (such as What's up), most of the commands require Google Now. I believe Motorola is needing Google Now to add phone commands (which it really needs to). Unfortunately, I believe Motorola would have to make some serious modifications to Android, more than they are comfortable with. They don't want to compromise the "pure Android experience".

As for driving, I believe Motorola expects you to connect your phone to the car (or a headset) with Bluetooth, in order to avoid unlocking. You can set a Bluetooth device to be trusted in Settings>Security>Trusted Devices on your Moto X, which will keep you from needing to enter your unlock PIN.

Last, if I understand correctly, I believe when driving when the phone is asking for your PIN, it will allow you to enter it verbally.

Upvote 0
Under settings / touchless control there is a setting to allow speak pin to unlock. That was added to touchless controls I believe last November or December; it wasn't there initially.

To piggyback on the last comment, I do hope that Google allows setting changes with voice commands some day, but that's a tricky thing to do from the point of view of security. It's probably smart to start voice commands with a less powerful command set and carefully consider adding features later. It may be that allowing one app (Google now) to change settings using an api opens the door to other, less benign apps, from piggybacking on that capability.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I agree and use it but I also like to play music from my USB stick in the car. Being forced to use Bluetooth to get trusted unlock drains the battery. Basically, I would like the choice to decide on my own. If I can set phone calls to go through while locked then why not other commands. I would even take the option to use Skip but works on NFC and I still have to Touch the phone to use it.

Upvote 0
Well, Apple let's you do it via Siri. Not saying its better but basically competition is out there. They could keep it secure by asking me to confirm like it works with an SMS while driving or something. If I can set a reminder via voice then go the distance and let me switch off Bluetooth from across the room etc too.

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention if you set unlock to NFC via Skip the vice pin option goes away. If you give me a free Skip then obviously I will use it so why turn off voice pin. See to me it does not make sense.

Change security to PIN unlock temporarily. Activate the feature in touchless controls to unlock by PIN. Then switch back to Skip unlock (or unlock by NFC, whatever that option is called.) I use a skip to unlock and the last time I used touchless controls, I was prompted to speak my PIN. (That was a while ago, though. I find speaking commands to be a moronic way for me to control a phone at the moment, because I'm always forgetting exactly the proper syntax I need to use, so I just do the simple things, like reply to texts when prompted by driving assist, and then pull over at the next opportunity and do things manually if I really need to do something that requires my attention.)

iOS and Android are not necessarily directly comparable - Apple makes the only devices that run iOS, so have the advantage to tailor the software to the hardware in a way that Android cannot. I agree it would be nice, and I think that Google is moving that way, but for now they have not activated those features. Google Now has been gaining voice control features since it was first launched, so maybe those features are coming soon.

Ok, all of that said, I believe that what you want to do is already available if you use Tasker. See this article for some pointers on getting started: How to Create a Custom Google Now Command for Anything on Android

Upvote 0
Change security to PIN unlock temporarily. Activate the feature in touchless controls to unlock by PIN. Then switch back to Skip unlock (or unlock by NFC, whatever that option is called.) I use a skip to unlock and the last time I used touchless controls, I was prompted to speak my PIN. (That was a while ago, though. I find speaking commands to be a moronic way for me to control a phone at the moment, because I'm always forgetting exactly the proper syntax I need to use, so I just do the simple things, like reply to texts when prompted by driving assist, and then pull over at the next opportunity and do things manually if I really need to do something that requires my attention.)

iOS and Android are not necessarily directly comparable - Apple makes the only devices that run iOS, so have the advantage to tailor the software to the hardware in a way that Android cannot. I agree it would be nice, and I think that Google is moving that way, but for now they have not activated those features. Google Now has been gaining voice control features since it was first launched, so maybe those features are coming soon.

Ok, all of that said, I believe that what you want to do is already available if you use Tasker. See this article for some pointers on getting started: How to Create a Custom Google Now Command for Anything on Android

Thanks for the tip about Tasker. Yep it is what I want. But I am more or less saying it should be native to the core Motorola functions/features. If they are going to market the concept of Touch less control. To me its a fudemental thing...I know its just my opinion and I really enjoy Touch less and so don't want to see it lose momentum in the future.

Upvote 0
One other thought, since you mention having the Skip paired with the phone, is to use one of the stickers you received with the Skip. You should be able to put the sticker where you mount the phone in your car, which would keep the phone unlocked while you are in the car.

Thanks. Tried that. Turns out Skip is NFC based tap only. So each time to unlock you need to tap the back phone in a specific spot to unlock. Frankly, a stupid design by Motorola. Phone sits in a windshield mount and what am I supposed to do, pull it out touch the skip and put it back.

So I agree its a good idea but it should act like Bluetooth trusted where it is smart enough to know a Skip is closev by so keep it unlocked. Its only until you try these sort of things that they come to light. I guess some customer focus testing is needed.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Tried that. Turns out Skip is NFC based tap only. So each time to unlock you need to tap the back phone in a specific spot to unlock. Frankly, a stupid design by Motorola. Phone sits in a windshield mount and what am I supposed to do, pull it out touch the skip and put it back.

So I agree its a good idea but it should act like Bluetooth trusted where it is smart enough to know a Skip is closev by so keep it unlocked. Its only until you try these sort of things that they come to light. I guess some customer focus testing is needed.

I found another possible option for you. Not sure if you've seen the Digital Tattoos that are now being made for the Moto X. These are essentially the same as the Skip but are a sticker that are made to be put on skin. Still not quite what you want but would be an easier way to unlock your phone while driving, just put your arm, with the "tattoo", next to your phone.

Upvote 0
I found another possible option for you. Not sure if you've seen the Digital Tattoos that are now being made for the Moto X. These are essentially the same as the Skip but are a sticker that are made to be put on skin. Still not quite what you want but would be an easier way to unlock your phone while driving, just put your arm, with the "tattoo", next to your phone.

Many thanks. What an innovative idea.Will keep an eye out for these. In the meantime, I actually found a solution. First, I was incorrect. The Skip Dots stickers don't require to tap. As long as the sticker is touching the phone it will unlock. So I placed one on my cell phone holder. So while it sits there and then I try to use the phone, when it turns on it senses the sticker and unlocks.

Upvote 0
I really want a command " Ok Google now. Call Name and put it on speaker" It's very annoying that you have to switch it to speaker phone manually.

I agree that they can add so many more useful commands that you don't even have to touch your phone like "Dial the last number that called me" "dial last missed call" "open maps and show me traffic" etc.

I really hope they work on it, my Moto touch less controls makes everybody jealous.

I also played sort of mean joke on my friend with it. My friend and I were carrying a couch down few flights, and while we are at it, he told me he hates when his phone rings in situations like those. So I immediately said "Ok Google now" and it heard me in my belt case, and then I said "Call Mike". Since there were few more guys close by, we had a good laugh.

Upvote 0
I really want a command " Ok Google now. Call Name and put it on speaker" It's very annoying that you have to switch it to speaker phone manually.

I agree that they can add so many more useful commands that you don't even have to touch your phone like "Dial the last number that called me" "dial last missed call" "open maps and show me traffic" etc.

I really hope they work on it, my Moto touch less controls makes everybody jealous.

I also played sort of mean joke on my friend with it. My friend and I were carrying a couch down few flights, and while we are at it, he told me he hates when his phone rings in situations like those. So I immediately said "Ok Google now" and it heard me in my belt case, and then I said "Call Mike". Since there were few more guys close by, we had a good laugh.

You don't have to manually switch to speaker? There is a setting for this to automatically do it for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones