Why do i have these crazy internet lag spikes?

Last Updated:

1. ctell88

ctell88 Member This Topic's Starter

So whenever i play starcraft 2 or street fighter 4 on my pc. I get 60fps on SF2. i sometimes get these nasty lag spikes. I know its not my internet bandwidth or graphics card (gtx470). Can it be my CPU (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2), my memory ddr2 pc-6400, or my power supply (500w). I have Charter cable 5MB internet. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

What do you see when you experience the lag? Does your FPS drop, or is it a connection loss? I ask because you mentioned the FPS, but that wouldn't be related to lag.

3. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

How do you know that it is not your internet connection? When I used to have cable internet I would have constant drop outs and lag spike while gaming that were not noticeable when just normally surfing the web. I was told at the time that it was related to the ancient wiring on my street that would not be replaced unless more people complained. No one else complained, so I got a new ISP.

4. ctell88

The fps doesnt drop. It is sometimes a connection loss and i drop out of the game.

@supersix I'm hoping its not my internet connection. I look right at my moden when the spike happens and the lights stay normal the whole time. It never lagged on me when I played diablo II and warcraft 3 online.

5. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

If it's a lost connection its either your internet connection or your network adaptor. Are you using a wireless connection to your router or are you hard wired to your modem?

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Im puzzled in your OP you say its not your connection. But this post and your thread title almost suggest other wise. In your OP your mention you have a 500w PSU. Im just wondering if that is contributing to the problem. Thats a tad on the low side for that total package you have especially the 470

7. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

I have the same problem as OP, and this sounds very plausible for my situation. Maybe it's time to start looking at DSL..

8. ctell88

@gnome hard wired to the modem.
    Im planning on getting a new PSU tonight actually. Hopefully that solves the problem. Ima go for 4GB of memory also. Right now i only have 2gb