Why do people like Handcent?

Last Updated: 2010-03-31 07:24:21
  1. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I'm honestly curious what people like so much about Handcent and what sets it apart from the default app. I'm curious because I tried it but wasn't that impressed, but I figure maybe there was some feature I may have missed so wanted to hear others' thoughts.

Advertisement
  2. Xystence

Xystence Well-Known Member

I am wondering too. I would like to make the sms app look better the the default as its kind of colorless, but I do not use handcent because the only decent looking theme is the iphone one, and I dont want to make my phone resemble an iphone lol. I would simply be happy simply adjusting the colors of the default app.

Maybe I missed something too.
  3. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

Handcents option are quite numerous and with the constant updates it gets better almost weekly. i find it much better then CHOMP and the native SMS app
  4. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

It gives me features I enjoy.
  5. alostpacket

But what about it do you like? What features?
  6. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, alostpacket. I have installed it twice and both times my battery drained quicker. I like the speech to text but other than that I find it slower than the native version and no other real benefit IMO.
  7. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

you can change the notification settings and ICON color and LED color. You can change the font, conversation layout, conversation theme. Just all fun little things
  8. s-one

s-one Well-Known Member

Personally... ew. Bubble chat is just gross. I'd rather use the native. The font is fine for me and the LED gets juiced by Missed Call.
  9. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

For me, it's the fact that it will pop up the message even if my screen is locked. I really like that feature.
  10. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

The widget gives you an icon with the number of messages on it as well.
  11. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

there are a ton of features that make handcent preferred for many users, and i haven't noticed any undue battery drain.
  12. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

I personally enjoy the speech to text; changing LED notification colors; text pop-up even when phone is asleep and I have not seen any considerable battery drain.
  13. siuc1996

siuc1996 Active Member

Pop ups all the way for me. So much easier than having to drill into the application.
  14. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

Because I can send picture MMS through it without having to crop them first. The camera on the Hero frquently produces files over the 1 meg message limit of the native app.
  15. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

1.) MMS messaging.
    2.) Custom chat style; I have the Handcent one, which looks like the iphone one with white and green. I had this and stopped and said..."wait, why do i want to be like an iPhone? I have a droid. I can customize! So my background is black, my bubbles are red and teal. Much cooler, everyone oogles over it because they already think I have an iPhone for some reason.

3.) Quick Text; I can reply to text's quickly without going into the actual program.

4.) Chomp SMS doesn't do MMS. If it does, I'll consider it.

5.) Default bored me.

6.) My battery life is fine. I get through 12-14 hours days easily with moderate-borderline heavy use.
  16. xintensex

xintensex Well-Known Member

I love handcent, but i wish it had the spell check like default message app!!
  17. johnLEE

johnLEE Well-Known Member

handcent is great. i like the pop up notifications, the ability to customize almost about anything you want as opposed to the conversation settings. i have my skin set to android cause why would i want my droid to look like an iphone? hahaha. it also has the ability to setup your own signature. i don't think the native app lets you do that.
  18. alostpacket

There is a pop up notification app I use the works with the default. It actually has a "quick reply" type feature too.

So I guess the one killer feature seems mostly the voice reply? I'll have to give the voice thing a try sometime.

Thanks all for your replies!
  19. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

You're taking about SMS popup, right?
  20. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I like Handcent's pop up better than the one from SMS Popup, if that's what you're referring to.
  21. alostpacket

yep, is handcent better? if so how?
  22. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was better, just that I liked it better. It's a matter of personal preference. If you like SMS Popup better, then by all means, don't feel that peer pressure requires you to use Handcent. Functionally, as far as the pop-up goes, they're very similar.
  23. nickstanley

nickstanley Well-Known Member

With the native SMS I would get a lot of "force closed". With Handcent I get NONE
  24. camdz

camdz Well-Known Member

Handcent still prompts me to crop/resize every image I send via MMS. What am I doing wrong? The app is up to date. I have never sent a picture where I didnt have to do that?
  25. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

Hmm, it asks me if I want it to resize for sending. I don't actually have to crop it myself. I must have been thinking about that.