• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why do people who are already rooted, want the OTA so badly?

i did exactly that and my friend rooted for me just for the hell of it. i had no idea what it was capable of so i didnt care and just spent all day getting back to stock then installing the may ota to be capable of getting the ota froyo even though i installed it manually.

but now that i no longer have root access what is some of the amazing stuff it can do anyway because id like to know for next time in case i re root

Upvote 0
i did exactly that and my friend rooted for me just for the hell of it. i had no idea what it was capable of so i didnt care and just spent all day getting back to stock then installing the may ota to be capable of getting the ota froyo even though i installed it manually.

but now that i no longer have root access what is some of the amazing stuff it can do anyway because id like to know for next time in case i re root

If you take a look at This sticky, there are guides to all the roms and kernels you can customize your phone with. There are also some threads around that are more specific to what rooting is really capable of.

Upvote 0
I don't get it either. There are great ROM options out there that save root and are the same thing as the OTA or better. I can totally understand advanced users going back to check it out because they can. But it's been a lot of uneccesary trouble for noobs.

Whatever works though. Not trying to slam anybody's choice, just don't quite get it in many cases.

Upvote 0
I don't get it either. There are great ROM options out there that save root and are the same thing as the OTA or better. I can totally understand advanced users going back to check it out because they can. But it's been a lot of uneccesary trouble for noobs.

Whatever works though. Not trying to slam anybody's choice, just don't quite get it in many cases.

This.

I was just thinking of how we (as a community) can help those new to rooting make more informed choices. It's just another case of too much information. We can create all the warnings we want, but some people just are not going to read or heed that advice.

It's unfortunate that people just dive in head first without thinking of the consequences.

Upvote 0
I took the RUU path because while i am rooted and fully know i will never take advantage of everything that being root has to offer... Many of the ROMS out there are developed with the developers own touch on it and quiet possibly differ from what i would want on my phone.

So i installed took the official update, re-rooted, and am in the process of setting up the phone the way i want it setup. I like starting with fresh system when i do this so i know what is really stock and don't have to worry about possible minor modifications the ROM creator may have made.

Upvote 0
I am just going to trust that the devs over at xda are going to make some really amazing roms. We have some really talented people that want and really enjoy making custom roms that surpass what stock can offer. Sure the dev puts their own flavor to it, but just look at the variety of roms out there. I cant wait to see more pop up in the near future.

Upvote 0
Re: Rooting discussion.

Speaking solely for me I wanted to root and run the custom ROMs because I feel these guys do a better job than the stuff that comes on the phones. I recently moved from an iPhone because of the iron shackles of Steve Jobs and Apple. I jailbreak that phone and could run a few things but NOTHING like i've been able to do with my Incredible. If I ever really got bored I could go back to OTA but then I'd have to deal with HTC and Verizon's personal spins which are ALWAYS worse for the customer and better for their companies.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones