• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Why Do Skype2Skype & VOIP2VOIP Calls Sound Bad?

mrsrp

Lurker
May 15, 2010
When I call Skype2Skype from my laptop computer, it's the best sounding call ever. It sounds like it's coming from a recording studio with high fidelity mics and a perfect sound room.

When I attempt the same thing on my Incredible, it sounds like a highly digitized cell phone call, even when using nice headphones and a mic.

I've experimented with Skype2Skype and Fring2Skype, and it's same poor sound quality.

Why is this?

Someone suggested that it's because of the difference of sound cards between a cell phone and a laptop, but that doesn't explain why I can listen to great sounding Internet music (i.e. Pandora) and various podcasts on my Incredible.

Thanks,

mrsrp

The codecs that are used between (laptop and laptop) and (phone and laptop) are different. The phone probably uses a much lower bitrate on the codec to achieve low latency and seemingly instant respose. The processor has less to decode and can be quicker. A more powerful modern laptop won't require a crutch to sound good because it could handle a higher bitrate just as quickly.

It's the same thing with mp3s or other audio formats. Or why bluray looks so much better than dvd: higher bitrate transfers more pixels and allows better quality.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Fring works for video too except you need a bathroom mirror with the incredible. There is quite an audio lag. Maybe they should make audio a priority. Maybe not. It is definately a work in progress. My phone did a reboot in between on a 3G video call. I think wifi works a little better.

The SIP and skype out calls I've made to landlines sound great. Equal to the skype out calls I made with my ipod touch. A bit of an echo. I use Fring exclusively and wouldn't dare installing the butchered Android version of Skype. The wm version still works as it should.

I used my WM phone overseas to skypeout to the US over wifi because there wasn't cdma or gsm service where I was. There was an audio delay but it was cheap at $.02 per min compared to $2-$4 for other means. Be patient. This is an evolving technology and voip is the future IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones