Why do some apps boot up on startup???Support

Last Updated:

1. knightwing44

knightwing44 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, this is starting to get really annoying. I'm trying to limit my use of the Advanced task Killer, but it seems like some apps REALLY LIKE being on and running - especially after a reboot.

I have NEVER used the FM Radio app, but it's always on - WHY?

Others, like YouTube and Key Ring, I use, but not very often - why would they be running after a reboot?

HELP ! ! !

knight

Advertisement
  2. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

Apps run after reboot and bring themselves up and shut themselves down. Android OS does a wonderful job of managing processes on its own. Many of the apps are interconnected, and the use of a task killer in android is inherently wrong IMHO as each app will only be on long enough to complete and data or info updates. Killing them before hand can potentially cause many errors, not to mention that if you don't know exactly what you are doing and kill the wrong things, your battery life is severely depleted, phone goes into reboot cycles, lag and a host of other problems. The incredible has the horsepower to manage these processes and for these reasons, and many others, let it. Just my two cents.

3. knightwing44

I agree with you, so that's why I'm trying to limit the use of the killer.

... but the RADIO app????

Today, my phone's battery went from 100% to dead in 6 hours of 99% standby. When I checked, it said that Maps was mostly responsible for the battery drain...

knight

4. soulfetcher13

Did you go under battery info in settings to find out what are the biggest drains. Also if you have your manager to auto kill things, those apps rooting constantly will drain a lot of battery.

5. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. Android is obviously NOT doing its supposed job since after boot i get a bunch of those running that kill the battery for no reason.(FM radio also but Sudoku free and footprints too.) I would be happy to have a way to stop these from running at start up. Preferably free I know there is a $.99 app to select what starts up.

6. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

none of these unused apps are having a negative impact on your battery.

Look at the usage stats.

Just get off this and go on with your life. Anything you do to shut them down is going to use more juice then they are on their own.

7. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

android is a crappy OS, if for no other reason then how closed it is. A lot like mac OS. If this were windows you'd at least be able to tell things not to start.

Almost no apps are actually interconnected and you don't have to have fm radio open in order to use anything else. If there were true dependencies than android would warn you before closing or wouldn't let you close the dependency before closing the dependent app.

android's motto is 'android knows best so go f yourself'. And it is so obviously incorrect that I can't believe people still espouse this nonsense about android managing itself. It let's apps grab as much info off you as they want, with no way to control that flow of information outside of install/uninstall of the app, and let's apps run amock starting themselves whenever they want to be started and not when the end user wants them running.

It gives the actual user almost no control and gives you only a take it or leave it option when it comes to how apps function within the device. It's absurd.

I love my incredible, I really do. And I'm an android adopter because it's created a unified platform where apps can be made available, but it's hardly an ideal OS. It's success is due to unification and marketing, and nothing else.

8. soulfetcher13

I can't say anything other than android, if left alone, will and does do what it is supposed to do. Don't confuse a "running" app with something that is sucking your battery. It isn't android's fault you downloaded all these games and stuff, it is encouraged. Free memory is wasted memory. If you want to see what is draining your battery, go to settings, about phone, battery and see what is going on there. A running app, ie something in the background on standby is not using your battery. It is on the bench, waiting for you to call it up. A task killer does not work for the most part, and there are many more on here than not that will recommend against using one including myself. It is also not android fault it is a different OS, and the fact that you do not view it as such implies your own inability to be flexible and learn. Sure, you can force it to do whatever, but during the day how many times are you killing the same app. 2, 3 times or more, only for it to start up again, and you wonder where your battery is going. I understand, this is my third android device and it took a serious shift in perspective coming from blackberry and all. But the point is, it will in fact do what it is supposed to do. There are multiple threads on here with tips on battery conservation, and other useful stuff that will help. I also recommend looking on the Eris forum as many of the tips apply to the incredible as both incorporate sense UI and th tips are interchangeable. But please, just try others recommendations before you start saying things like obviously this isn't working right when you aren't even giving it a chance to.

9. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

From what I heard the Google Maps app tries to get a GPS fix in the background, and that is one of the main battery drains. Most apps just suspend themselves in the background, not draining the battery at all.

10. soulfetcher13

Not exactly, the huge drain there is if you have the gps actually on ie enable location instead of e911 only or if you are actively using the navigation feature then that is where the immense batt. drain comes into play.

11. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

I tried using a task killer and then deleted it and my battery drained twice as fast. As for services being killed that are required, the phone will restart them if necessary. I've killed stuff and the phone restarts what it needs. I don't see how that will mess up your phone. It doesn't mess up my computer if I did the same thing. Android does a horrible job of tracking what's open. WebOS was much better at showing you what was open. Hold down your home key and you get 6 apps, no matter what. What does that tell you? Nothing.

12. knightwing44

What I really don't understand is the WHY some of these apps boot up. I can understand why the internet boots up when I check email - that makes sense. But others simply don't seem to have a logical reason to be on, other than just to be on.

Footprints?

Radio?

Maps? (when not being used)

It's not necessary. I should choose what is on and when. I thought that was one of the reasons we chose Android over other fruity devices...

I think another GREAT idea would be to have apps have a QUIT or CLOSE function to them. I find that only a precious few seem to have that.

Knight

13. hexto

hexto Guest

My battery lasts twice as long as it did before I finished conditioning it for the first 5 days I owned it. I get about 20hrs of normal use which for me is about 30min of talk, LOTS of texts, and at least an hour of browsing. I have noticed when I check which apps are using my batt the most that sometimes there will be an app that I didn't use but its minimal.

There must be a bad batch of phones out there. My OS runs as good as I expected it to run and my battery is very competent for the amount of use. I've used Android on phones that were made for Windows Mobile and it ran better than what you guys describe.

If it were me, I'd go back to VZW and exchange the phone daily until they got it right.

Don't let them tell you what to do either. My girlfriend's phone (Samsung Sway) gave us issues with the battery and the display and they tried telling me that unless they could duplicate the issue they would not exchange it. I stayed in the store all day and spoke to all their customers while on the phone with customer service. Everyone knew that there were unwilling to help me including customer service. Now, they kiss my ass whenever I walk in.

14. knightwing44

Return the phone because of the way Android handles apps? That doesn't make any sense. All our phones do the same thing - there is no bad batch of app-loving phones.

knight

15. sandman423

sandman423 Active Member

I am VERY Noobish when it comes to this stuff. My new phone is driving me nuts because I am trying to figure out what I should close and not close.

I always turn off phone to charge it, then I unplug it and plug it back in then I wait 20 minutes until Light turns green again, then I unplug and do it once more and wait another 20 minutes before it turns green and then I unplug and start it up.

I usually wait for it to load up everything then I open Advanced Task Killer Pro and KILL ALL Selected apps then I start using it.

Everything seems like its on when I load my phone.

I am trying to find the EASIEST Ways to kill apps that are Unneeded to get the best battery out of my phone.

I am new to Android and Sense so Just looking for easy as pie solutions

16. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member

Hi All...forgive me...

I was wondering if I am looking in the right place for application battery usage information.

I am going to Home...Menu...Settings...About Phone...Battery...Battery Use. Is THIS where the information on SPECIFIC apps' battery usage is or is there another place for more information??

Thanks!!

Scott