• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do some facebook photos not get pulled?

itsaddison

Oct 23, 2009
For most Google Contacts, once linked to a facebook account, properly display the photo as the contact photo. There are a few though that oddly don't. I can see their picture on facebook itself, it just doesn't get pulled into the Contact. I've inquired to these individuals and they don't seem to be using any particular privacy setting that would affect this.

For most Google Contacts, once linked to a facebook account, properly display the photo as the contact photo. There are a few though that oddly don't. I can see their picture on facebook itself, it just doesn't get pulled into the Contact. I've inquired to these individuals and they don't seem to be using any particular privacy setting that would affect this.

I thought it had to do with how active a person is on FB as it seemed like it was only affecting a few of my friends that don't update as often or handn't in a few weeks since I got the phone. But I had one of my friends update their status and post some stuff and still nothing. It just won't sync with them. On others I have an issue where their photo albums will show up but their personal profile pic doesn't. It's weird.

Upvote 0
This could be Facebook flakiness too. I still get network & script errors quite often just using Facebook on a normal computer.

On my Pre, the FB link worked flawlessly. It initially picked up 99% of the matches within my contacts, missing the ones that didn't match well because I didn't have a last name in my Google contacts, or had something completely wrong. As for the Hero, it gets quite a few, over 50%, but flat misses many many many obvious ones.

I, because of my Pre, think it's the phone, not FB. Synergy was just very well done. Bravo, Palm. Not get your hardware up to snuff! lol

Upvote 0
due to this sentence "As for the Hero, it gets quite a few, over 50%, but flat misses many many many obvious ones." I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing

I'm talking about MANUALLY linking the profile within each contact. There's no "obvious" element to it. I'm telling it that this is the match, so all it needs to do is pull that data. It still pulls birthday, just not photo, even though the photo is there.

Upvote 0
due to this sentence "As for the Hero, it gets quite a few, over 50%, but flat misses many many many obvious ones." I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing

I'm talking about MANUALLY linking the profile within each contact. There's no "obvious" element to it. I'm telling it that this is the match, so all it needs to do is pull that data. It still pulls birthday, just not photo, even though the photo is there.

i have this issue too. i thought it was because of people's privacy settings. maybe not?

Upvote 0
This drives me crazy. I have a few friends manually linked, and it will not pull any info from their Facebook account. I assumed it had something to do with their privacy settings. Its annoying because it happens to be a few of the people I talk to most, and Id like their picture to at least show up. For now I added my own contact picture, but its not the same.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue - I manually linked all my contacts with their facebook accounts and all their profile pictures appeared fine, until a couple of weeks ago when every single one of them disappeared for no apparent reason. I've no idea why and I've tried a few things but they've still not reappeared. I'm baffled.

This will sound dumb, but I had that problem and went into my Social Networks in settings and had somehow gotten logged out of facebook. It may not seem like you had at first if youre using the android facebook app but they are actually separate. Maybe thats not your problem just putting it out there :p

Upvote 0
This drives me crazy. I have a few friends manually linked, and it will not pull any info from their Facebook account. I assumed it had something to do with their privacy settings. Its annoying because it happens to be a few of the people I talk to most, and Id like their picture to at least show up. For now I added my own contact picture, but its not the same.

yea i agree with this.. i have most of my contacts synced with facebook and also my Calendar Bcuz i suck at keep track on friends birthdays.. anyway. They have and app that will match the name of you contact to facebook and download the pictures to the phone. However the name has to match facebook otherwise i wont recognize it as the contact..

You cant probably fix the contact pictures and stuff unless you tell your friends to change their privacy setting..lol

Upvote 0
Would this have anything to do with resolution? I was talking to a friend about this because his picture wasnt showing up and he said its a really high resolution picture.
I just looked through some of my friends to see if I could make sense of this one. My girlfriend and her best friend have both chosen a picture for their profile, that was taken on the same night, with the same camera (night out at the bars). The picture isnt the same, but that shouldnt matter. My girlfriends picture is syncing fine, her best friend is one of the picture that wont show up for me. Chances are these pictures are the exact same resolution, but I thought facebook would resize these anyway?

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem also. Although contacts are synced with a FB account the profile picture data does not get pulled through to the phone. I've check things like privacy settings (which I can't see being the issue here, after all I can log on and see all my friends details); It also seems to have nothing to do with the regularity the user accesses FB, or the resolution of their profile picture.

There are just half a dozen contacts in my address book that my HTC Hero will not sync FB profile pictures with, and seemingly absolutely no reason as to why it wont do it!

I discovered that for some contacts, if I went the contact's card > Updates and events > press menu button > update profile info > then un-tick 'Use photo' and 'Use birthday' > Done > and then went back in and re-ticked these options > Done: it would in some instances sync the photo, but not all.

I can only see this as being a bug with the phone and not FB, from my investigations.

Pretty annoying really!

Upvote 0
You can add a shortcut to your FB phone book + > Folder > Live Folder > Facbook Phonbook. I know this isn't related exactly to the issues mentioned above, but I've noticed that contacts whose pictures don't sync with People, also don't have profile pictures in the FB Phonebook.

I don't know what to make of that, just an observation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones