Why do some websites force you to their mobile version

1. liquidcourage

liquidcourage New Member

I hate being forced by some websites to view their functionally challenged "mobile" version. The standard versions look amazing on the Droid!

I assume the sites are reading the useragent string from the browser and forcing the redirect. Any way to change what the useragent is reporting? I've searched quite a bit and haven't found a resolution. Your wisdom would be most appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I don't know why they force you to use it, I'm assuming the site detects your connection. Some websites offer you the full version if u click a link that's usually at the bottom or top of page, sorry I know this doesn't really answer question.
  3. orangeryno

orangeryno New Member

bumping this thread. I have the same issue on my blackberry I could change the coding the browser used. Even site by site.

The full sites look so great on that screen and the browser does a great job of rendering them it is a shame to be forced to the mobile site.
  4. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

usually you can just click a link that's at the bottom of the page that will switch it back to the full version. the mobile version is obviously loaded for reasons.
  5. Nevik

Nevik Member

I think my storm was able to choose how you wanted to view. Internet explorer, firefox, or bb style
  6. build319

build319 Member

When you connect to the website they detect what browser you are using. If the detect a mobile browser, they will usually default to their mobile website version.

I don't know of any way to change that but that is the reason. As stated above, most websites will offer you the option to view the full website at the bottom of the page.

And if all else fails you could give some of the other browsers a test drive. I would do that for you but my droid isn't arriving until Tuesday.

I hope that helps a little!
  7. AdamDroid

AdamDroid Active Member

i cant remember what someone said. However, they said to change some setting in the browser options to "desktop" mode....my droid isnt here yet either
  8. liquidcourage

liquidcourage New Member

The steel browser allows you to set the useragent to a desktop setting in the preferences. Thanks for the assistance everyone!
  9. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Well on my G1 I used Loccy's Better Browser and it had a choice to either use Desktop, Android or iPhone browser detection. I really hope Loccy updates that browser to work on the G1 because it has multitouch and a ton of other settings. The best thing is it isn't a new app, it actually modifies the stock browser.
  10. x475aws

x475aws Active Member

Does Steel modify the stock browser, or is it completely separate? If you install something that does modify the stock browser, how can you back out the changes?
  11. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

It's just Karma because you're all trying to view redtube on your mobiles ;-)
  12. liquidcourage

liquidcourage New Member

Steel is a separate browser. Seems to work pretty good when I want the full website. Had a few force closes, but nothing horrible.
  13. X3RO

X3RO Member

Because we don't have flash yet!

Nah its because they know we are on a mobile phone browser. You can check full site usually at the bottom of websites. I can't wait for flash. =P
  14. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Strangely on Android 1.5; it is possible to change the browser to 'desktop' mode.

I do not see this option on my Droid.
  15. AdamDroid

AdamDroid Active Member

i cant find the steel browser in the market. what did you search for? ive tried steel browser, web browser, browser...
  16. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

I found it by searching steel and it was right at the top...but if you still can't find it, try the Dolphin browser. Haven't used it a lot but did try desktop mode for a site that forces the mobile version and it brought up the full version very nicely. I don't know the pros and cons about each but both browsers have high ratings.
  17. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Wait! That doesn't work on the Droid! Well off to find a different phone..... ;)
  18. Integgroll

Integgroll Member

I hear tube8 works.