• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do these apps keep running even after stopping them?

Get WatchDog program. See if they're actually using any CPU process. If not they're idle and aren't really doing anything. Android will auto restart processes on its own, so unless you're rooted and can prevent the restarts task killers end up doing more harm (read battery drain) than good.

Upvote 0
Exchange services may be linked to a mail account.

Some built in apps can be disables without root since ICS in Settings->Application settings go to the All tab and scroll to the one you want. Where normally an Uninstall would be on a downloaded app you may be able to disable it.

Just make sure you don't disable anything that other things relly on.

Upvote 0
Android is designed to auto manage running processes and apps. You don't need to do anything. If fact, as stated above, using a so called task killer is usually worse than doing nothing at all, especially with a beast like the Note 2 with 2 GB of RAM. Running processes and apps is a non-issue.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
That's not really the same. That's just clearing the recently used programs list. If you use a program like Watchdog (they have a lite free version) you can see the apps are still running.

Oh I misunderstood. Task killing generally isn't good and most task killers end up using more power killing tasks than the apps actually consume in the cache. If an app is rogue your better off getting rid of them.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd let android do it's thing. On a phone like the Note 2, unless something is draining your battery faster than you can blink, you don't have to worry yourselves with any of the background processes. Media is one that runs because YOU ran something related to media. Exchange has been in every android phone I ever had- I don't think that is one you can disable (but I may be wrong).

The only time I look at battery stats, running processess and things of that nature is when I visit forums and cant understand what/why people are panicking over it when they don't have to.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Only if you're rooted though right?

You DO NOT have to be rooted. Disabling apps came to Android w/ Ice Cream Sandwich.

How to do it : Settings > Application Manager > All. There you will see a list of all apps. Select the app & you will see Disable. Not all apps can be disabled, but most of your standard bloatware can however.

Added : This is how it is done w/ the S3 as I don't have my Note 2 yet ( Thanks Verizon :rolleyes: ). If different than my above directions please someone chime in. Thank You.

Upvote 0
Cool, didn't know you could do that. Do you know how you enable them again if you want them back or make a mistake? I've just disabled ChatOn and now it doesn't show anywhere.

Once you are at the All page, scroll all the way down to the bottom & you will see the Disabled apps. Select the app & you will see Enable.

Upvote 0
Oh I misunderstood. Task killing generally isn't good and most task killers end up using more power killing tasks than the apps actually consume in the cache. If an app is rogue your better off getting rid of them.

^^^^ This right here should be a sticky!!!! Some people just don't get it!

There have been many different articles and threads written about it. It's a common misconception because people are used to a windows machine

Yup. When I first transitioned over to Android from Windows Mobile 2+ years ago, I was so happy that there were a few members that knew me from the Windows Mobile forums and this was the 1st advice they gave me on my Android transition (e.g. don't kill tasks or stop programs from running since it could do more harm than good and inexplicably stop the app from working when you actually want it to run).

Upvote 0
It really is time for people to stop using Task Killers. You didn't routinely go into Task Manager in Windows to kill tasks unless there was an issue with a program that wouldn't close out did you? You most certainly didn't try to close out everything except for the program you wanted to use unless you were a complete idiot who shouldn't even know how to bring up the Task Manager.

Android is no different. Not since the days of the G1 has there really been a driving need to use a task killer on Android phones. Android has developed very rapidly... more rapidly than iOS from the first iPhone to 6.0. Unless there is a problem with the application you are running... leave it alone.

Upvote 0
.....You didn't routinely go into Task Manager in Windows to kill tasks unless there was an issue with a program that wouldn't close out did you?

Umm....YES I DID! Windows was not that great. It was slow and sluggish on a good day. I was always killing stuff so I could use my phone. Please....Windows and Android comparison doesn't work for me.

Upvote 0
Umm....YES I DID! Windows was not that great. It was slow and sluggish on a good day. I was always killing stuff so I could use my phone. Please....Windows and Android comparison doesn't work for me.

I think BleedingPurist did a quick sidebar analogy to using Windows on a PC, not necessarily talking about Windows Mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones