Why do we have to root?

Last Updated:

1. expose11

expose11 Member This Topic's Starter

I am assuming I will not have to root my phone to update to 2.1. If the great developers that hang around xda (Fresh, Damage, etc) can write roms that are arguably better then the original rom, why can't they make it so we don't have to root.
    Not bitching about having to root. Just wanting some technical reasons why its necessary.

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Rooting is necessary b/c it allows absolute control over our phones (ie: the ability to flash a custom ROM)

3. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

Linux, on which Android is based, is locked down pretty tight. That's one of the great things about it. Makes it a lot tougher for people to screw up their machines. Gaining root access gives you total administrative control, which you need to alter the OS, as we are all so fond of doing.

4. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

why root? because you want to be that cool guy and tell your friends the many things you can do with a rooted phone..

Look at iPhone users...they can't do wireless tethering... i show it off to them and they get jealous..lol

5. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

True story, it is fun to be that cool guy, but eventually your friends will either root or tell you to stfu

DFRESH likes this.
  6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

just think of rooting as granting you admin rights on a PC.. because that's exactly what it is. without rooting you don't have the needed permissions to change the ROM. yes, Fresh and Damage and all the other Devs are incredible at making ROMs, but in order for anyone to put them on their phone, they have to have admin permissions.

imagine if you had a PC that was locked down you you could only add certain apps, you could only change certain backgrounds, and your HAD to have apps on there that you don't want and will never use, but you couldn't get rid of them. Then someone said "pssst... I know how to get rid of those apps and let you change anything on the PC that you want.. but ya gotta do this first"

I work in the IT industry.. I have seen sooooooooooo many of our clients that lock down the PC's for their users so hard that they don't even have a start button available. All of those guys would love it if I told them how to gain access as an admin (it's not that hard)

7. Heaterz16

Heaterz16 Well-Known Member

Does that mean you can tell me how to change a group policy on my work laptop so I can actually use wireless tethering? The group policy currently blocks adhoc networks.

8. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

That is funny. they always tell me to stfu. I hate/ love to be a geek

:D

9. mysticmead

it means I can tell you how to change the password of a local admin account.. then log in as that admin and grant local admin rights to any account on the pc :D

nice little program called ERD commander.. boot into it and use locksmith to change any local admin password

10. Heaterz16

Heaterz16 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I might have to try that. Do you think I will be able to change the group policy though? I am pretty sure I already have local admin rights, but I can't change any of the group policies.

11. mysticmead

group policies are pushed from a domain level. just don't log in to the domain