1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Why Do You Guys Use Screen ProtectorsTips

1. Austrie

Austrie Well-Known Member

This device uses gorrila glass, I had to THROW it like ten time to even get a crack against a rugged concrete stair(I was throwing it at the edge of the stair so it would crack faster). And I can run a nail on this screen and not even get the slightest crack. The screen protector won't even protect the device's screen from cracking, screen protectors are meant for scratches on the screen which is very hard to get on this device's screen, a case is the one thar protects from crackage, dents, and body scratches. Screen protectors are just bringing down your responsiveness and resolution.

Advertisement
    :
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Some screen protectors are also anti glare(for better visibility in the direct sun light) and even gorilla glass can scratch when in contact with more abrasive materials. Screen scratches aren't usually caused by by sharp objects eg: knives, nails, keys, but are caused by small abrasive particles like sand grains. :)
    Also, Gorilla glass is more designed to prevent shattering than it is designed to protect from scratches.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866049

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ed-phone-screen-What-causes-crack-others.html

Screen protectors are just another layer of protection.
    I personally don't use one on my devices though, and they don't have gorilla glass
  3. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

I have never used a screen protector or a case... So the better question is, why are you implying I am? :p
  4. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member Contributor

It can be anti glare and can give a matte finish. It's also protects the screen from scratches and very hard materials such as sand. Sand is harder than those weak metals they use in the gorilla glass commercials. Sand will scratch the screen and I want it to be clear of scratches. :)
  5. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Also wet application screen protectors DO increase the screens resistance to cracking. :rolleyes:
    OB
  6. Watagump

Watagump Well-Known Member

Corning does not list the phone as having GG. There are also debates on the internet between people saying it does or does not.
  7. OverByter

Corning does list the Evo 3d, which is what this phone is hardware wise. :p
    OB
  8. Watagump

I don't see it.

CORNING
  9. richking34

richking34 Well-Known Member

type in evo 3d and its on the full list
  10. Watagump

11. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase Guide

Meh. I used to use a screen protector on my triumph. That was about it.

These days, my phones too busy sitting in my pocket, or plugged up to a USB cable, to worry about damage to the screen or anything.

Though, I still want a snazzy case....>.>
  12. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Gorilla glass can break. My 13 year old daughter managed to break a gorilla glass screen in the 1st week she had a phone. So now she has both a protector and a case. I like the wet process screen protectors too.
  13. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Taking some keys with rather blunt edges to Gorilla glass doesn't prove anything. Smaller, harder particles with jagged little edges like sand, or other small particles (dirt) however will scratch it up just dandy.

Putting force on a small particle will ensure great pressure...kinda like an elephant wearing high heels. I am much more concerned with dirt or any other small hard particle scraping against my screen. If it's bad enough, I suppose it will eat right through the screen protector...
  14. nsciucco

nsciucco Well-Known Member

Look.. the only reason i use One is to help protect against scratches. I had a few scratches on the screen and bezel on my last couple of EVO'S - So I decided to start using screen protectors. i use the cheap ones too. 1.99 for 6 .. shipped.I have had the same one on my phone now for 6 months.. ya I could change it , I have 5 extras. but this one isnt that bad yet. i will soon. Meanwhile I know my screen is perfect underneath
  15. sokermaster

sokermaster Well-Known Member

dropped my phone once... got a small crack on the screen!
  16. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Well-Known Member Contributor

I only use them when I am near a beach.

What I wanna know is why the OP was hurling a phone against the stairs?:rolleyes:
  17. OverByter

Well I live 4 blocks from the beach. :D
    OB
  18. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Well-Known Member

I like having my things clean, I don't want fingerprints on my screen I like it looking new :p.
  19. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Well-Known Member Contributor

20. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

probably a bricked phone, or water damage, or something (at least i hope)
  21. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Probably an old iphone :p
  22. Austrie

Austrie Well-Known Member

It was my first evo v 4g, it had hardware issues and I wanted to see if it would break. And I never knew that smaller particles is the real perpetrators of screen scratches. Thanks for the info.