Why do you need Wifi if you have G3??? Educate me pleaseGeneral

Last Updated:

1. lkosova

lkosova Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please educate me here. Why does the G1 have wifi when it has Edge and G3????

How and where would you use it. Would you not use Edge when G3 is turned off????

I see there is a tmobile hotspot application but unless I have a computer with me, what is the point???

I guess my point is you "have" to buy a data package for internet etc access anyway.

Thanks,

Larry

Advertisement
  2. killer3160

killer3160 Well-Known Member

the wifi gives u faster speed so u can watch youtube videos in really good quality or u can surf the web faster also i think u meant to say 3G not G3

3. Vivid

Vivid Well-Known Member

also 3g is not nation wide so if you have wifi at home, work or the local coffee shop you can still high high speed without local 3g service...

Another benefit of WiFi is for a traveler... Free WiFi is all over the place but 3g outside of the US is data roaming and $$$

4. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

because 3G isin't available everywhere, wifi is faster then 3G, sometimes you are in places that dont have cell service etc... There's plenty of reasons, I'm posting from wifi on my G1 now.

5. Tabasco

Tabasco Member

As one of the above mentioned, when you are travelling 3G would be very expensive so if you are in a hotel or something, you will be able to use their wireless connection. This is very important hence I wouldn't get a phone without wifi.

6. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Also, when you are using wifi for whatever (youtube, etc) it doesn't use up your T-Mobile provided bandwidth.

7. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

well, also you can't download anything off of amazon mp3 without WiFi.

8. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

Not to mention that it's inevitable that someone will make it possible for us to use a computer to connect to the phone with wifi to use the 3g connection to get the computer on the internet.

9. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

10. Tabasco

Tabasco Member

Got my phone yesterday and am loving it. Although there is no game pre-installed so I will have to look up the games section later.

For those who own the phone, can you tell me how I can select whether I want to use either WiFi or 3G? On my old phone I get an option but can't find this on G1......(I bet it's somewhere blantantly obvious). Please tell me...

The last thing I want while overseas is to clock up a huge bill on 3G roaming..(by the way the connection seems quite fast)

TIA

Tabasco

11. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

If wifi is turned on, and it's connected to a network, it uses wifi. If not, it uses a wireless (non-wifi, that is) data connection.

12. killer3160

killer3160 Well-Known Member

just click menu>setting>wireless controls>wi-fi