Why does droid always open a website in the mobile format?

1. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

When I open some websites like espn.com and engadget.com I can't open it in the normal http format. Why does it always open in mobile format, and can you disable this? Anybody else have this problem? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. areayetee

areayetee New Member

I'm not sure as to why, but I can suggest a nice workaround.

Try using the dolphin web browser instead of the stock browser.
    I like it cause you can set what kind of browser web sites see you as, android, PC, or even iphone (usefull until we get flash). Plus you get the nice pinch zoom effect.
    Try it see if that gives you some more flexibility.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Many websites auto-detect that you are using a mobile browser and automatically redirect you. I don't like it either, but it's a fact of life that SHOULD improve once we get Flash 10. Whenever that is :rolleyes:
  4. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

And how is flash going to improve that? If site operators decide to redirect mobile browsers to a mobile site then flash will not matter.

The best solution like somebody already is to use a browser that can changer the user agent so the browser appears to be something that it's not.
  5. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

Ok so, Dolphin Browser does have the user agent which is pretty good. And if you get redirected to any page at the bottom of the espn mobile website you have to click on espn.com link and at the bottom of engadget mobile website there is a link to the full endgadget experience this allows you to see the full page.
  6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I believe that part of the auto-detect is detecting whether or not FLASH is supported by the browser. That's why I'm (patiently) awaiting mobile FLASH for the Droid: it will allow us to open many full-blown websites, not just the mobile versions.