• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does everyone think...

GalaxyNexus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Bikini Bottom
Why does everyone think the GNex is such a beautiful phone that you have to use it "naked"? I am by no means saying this is a bad device because it is the best phone I've ever owned. I'm just reading in the cases threads about how this phone is too beautiful to put a case on.

Honestly, I think this is a really ugly phone. Compare this to an iPhone or a S2 and this device gets blown out of the water. The one thing you have to give Apple props on, is the way they design their phones (other than size).

Can anyone justify what makes this a "beautiful" phone? I think the titanium grey is absolutely ugly and the bumps on the back make the phone extremely slippery. I'll admit the screen is beautiful, but I don't get why they didn't make the device black and grippier. The back of the Nexus makes it a necessity to get a case.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'd really like to know what make the GNex a good looking device.

To make this not so pessimistic:
But in the end, it doesn't matter what's on the outside, it matters what's inside. Right guys!

As with most things, it's a matter of opinion.
I don't see anything special about the way the iPhone looks.

For me I like the curve of the Nexus, of course the screen, and I do like the feel of it during the free occasion that my case isn't on it.

I use a case so I can keep it on my belt. I would never carry anything the size of a smartphone in my pocket.

Upvote 0
I love the look of the phone but totally agree with you about the slippery feel of it due to the back. I dropped (and luckily caught) mine twice before I bought a Diztronic case for it and been using it ever since. The ONLY reason I originally didn't want a case was because it's on the upper end of a pocket phone and I didnt' want to add any more girth to it. But there are several cases out there that don't add much so I went the better safe than sorry route. Since then I've thrown it a few times out of anger so I guess the newness has worn off. :D

Upvote 0
I like the phone naked, the nice clean front with the softkeys and no nasty home button, and the feel is great to me with the samsung extended battery fitted as it just smooths the back off nicely. Have to admit it can be a bit slippery at times but luckily no drops so far and no temptation to cover it up with a case after having it 8 months now.

Upvote 0
I would love to keep it naked because i really like the look and feel of it bare, course this could just be new phone syndrome :p But i have an otterbox on it because of the recent plan changes I need this phone to last, my droid X took a lot of falls that I'm not sure the Nexus would handle as well.

Good job on breaking 5100 thanks as well :p

"Thanks"

Upvote 0
agree with the rest , this is all opinionated. I have a slim TPU case on mine (diztronic) i like it. I would like to go naked but i have dropped mine a couple of times and i'm so glad i had that case on it. ...to keep in theme

i think the phone looks very nice. I love that there are no buttons on the face, when it's sitting there with the screen off it looks super slick to me with just a black screen and a glow of the led that is flashing on it...blue at the moment telling me i have an email :)

Reactions: satellitez
Upvote 0
It's definitely a slippery phone when naked. Especially if you don't have a little sweat/moisture going on in your hand. If it's dry, then fuhgetabout it. That said, I've bought 3 cases for the phone, and while they're all nice in their own ways and add to the grip-ability of the phone, I can't stand cases. I always think I can make one work out, but never end up using them. I will say if I'm on a job site and being all manly :p (contractor), I'll throw the ditztronic tpu on it for that afternoon.

Upvote 0
I also agree that this phone is extremely slippery when naked. Although I find the curve of the phone to be appealing, I agree that both the color and texture of the phone is horrible. I am using the diztronic matte black case but I have seen the ringke slim on this phone and it definitely improves the looks of the phone. Will order that case now.

Other manufacturers definitely make better quality builds than this phone. Make no mistake this is my favorite phone but why couldn't it have a good looking shell like the iPhone, droid razr, htc one x, etc etc.. I guess all of the budget went into the beautiful screen? :thinking:

I would like to add this... as far as the build, it does feel solid when compared to my last phone: Sprints' Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. That phone was too flat and it bothered in the pocket. Also when talking on the phone the screen would stick to my face. It would also creek and make noises when I would handle the phone, kinda like walking on old wooden floors.

Upvote 0
Definitely an opinion thing here. I think it's the best looking phone. I hate the way iPhones look and feel, such basic look with uncomfortable square edges. I hate the way the g nexus feels naked, and it's very slippery. I use the kickstand case from Verizon. It's the perfect size and feel for me, and I use the kickstand all the time, even when holding it it in my hand... I just slip a finger through it and it won't fall out of my hand, and it gives me much more dexterity in any position, especially when using only one hand.

Upvote 0
Other manufacturers definitely make better quality builds than this phone. Make no mistake this is my favorite phone but why couldn't it have a good looking shell like the iPhone, droid razr, htc one x, etc etc.. I guess all of the budget went into the beautiful screen? :thinking:

Oh god no. The iPhone is solidly built, but I just look at it and think "this is just an accident waiting to happen". Its probably the only phone I've used that isn't built cheap, and I still feel I'm going to break it.

Upvote 0
Hey some guys like big butts some guys like little ones. Its a matter of taste.
Why do "I" believe the GN is beautiful, well its not just the physical aspect. sure the screen is large and beautiful but so is the guts of the device. It feels right in my arms. And if I don't like something more than likely I have a way of fixing it. Unlike other phones where if you wanted to change something that phone's parent will shoot you.

Upvote 0
I'm totally naked, no case no screen protector. I think the patterned grey back is very professional looking and I do like curves on women and apparently phones now lol.

That said, I'm not sure what people are talking about the slippery feel, maybe I got sweaty hands (especially living in this hot humid city of Houston) but I have zero issues with it slipping out of my grasp.

Also, it's why I have insurance if/when I drop this phone, I'll just get another.

Upvote 0
i'm naked with screen protector right now. slim case in the mail.

i was using the otterbox defender, then i was reading about how it scratches the screen, so i took it off, and sure nuff, there's micro scratches where the holes for the ear piece and camera are. so i was checking it out naked, and was like wow, this screen looks really nice without the otterbox protector. so yeah, no more otterbox defender for me

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a nice looking phone from the back but I do like the minimal style of the front. I agree it's way too slippery to carry uncased. Maybe I just have un-grippy fingers.

The only phone I've ever kept naked was my DroidX because it had a nice grippy coating to it. It was also so slim that I didn't want to add any bulk to it.

Personally, I like hearing different opinions and the reasons people have them. Helps me see their viewpoint and might alert me to something subtle I missed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones