Why does HandBrake take so long?Support

Last Updated:

1. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have noticed this with HandBrake in the past, but why does it take so long to encode a video? I have an .AVI file of Edge of Darkness and it is going to take over 3 hours to encode. Why is that?

I can take a movie DVD, rip and burn it in less than an hour. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

You can up the cpu priority by going into options and then under the CLI tab. I haven't actually noticed or tested if the higher priority improves speed but it should. It's limited to the processing power of your computer (which is your processor/cpu). Although it does take me generally longer to convert with HandBrake than it does with other programs.

3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

you dont have a powerful enough computer lol. I can do a 2 hours movie in about 45-60 minutes and that is the standard priority for the CPU

4. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

Use ffmpeg. It's faster and more compatible anyways. Just make sure to add one automatic audio layer in AAC.

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  5. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That could be it since I'm using my laptop. Although my laptop isn't exactly a slouch with a 2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb of ram and a Nvidia 8600M GT. With that being said, my desktop is more powerful so I should probably try that.

6. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

you laptop doesnt stand a chance....thats close to the spec on mine, its just not a big enough horse. you need a good desktop