• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does it ask to confirm the last word in a sentence?

Dr. Octagon

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Why does the text entry always ask me to confirm the last word of a sentence that ends with something other than a period? It's kind of annoying (using Handcent) to have to press on the spellchecked word before moving on or sending a text message. Sometimes I can just hit send, and sometimes it just blinks at me until I confirm that, yes, I did want to end my message or sentence with "Why?" or whatever happens to be at the end.

Annoying. Anything I can do to get rid of this?

Also, I just tested it, even when i misspell "why" and then place a question mark it automagically changes to "Why?"

So... Yea. Maybe it's a keyboard issue, and you need to change some settings, but I can't help until you tell me which keyboard you use.

It happens when you don't use punctuation. To test just type w-h-y then try to hit send. (Handcent, no special keyboard)

I've just gotten in the habit of pressing the spacebar after my last word

Upvote 0
I use the standard keyboard. It does it if I try to end the message with punctuation other than a period. Pressing space stops it, but why end a message with a space? Silly.

Another issue that kind of annoys is when you backspace sometimes it joins the word you're deleting with the word prior to it, eliminating the space between the two. Strange.

Upvote 0
Yea. Again, i did what you just said and it doesn't do that for me.

I have mine set up so the enter automagically sends the text, so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, also i'm using Smartkeyboard Pro.

I've been extremely lucky to never have had most if any of the problems that most of the other people on this board have had. Thank God.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones