Why does it take so long for the battery to charge?Support

1. dportal2006

dportal2006 Well-Known Member

My laptop battery is bigger and it doesn't take as long as this tablet. It takes like six hours to charge it.

Advertisement
  2. Jay Aristide

Jay Aristide Well-Known Member

Your laptop charger is also pushing a hell of a lot more amperage into your laptop. Your n7, under the most ideal of conditions (very short charging cable with supple bandwidth (like a USB 3.0 cable) and nice, steady power to the charger), is pulling 2a while powering the device. It will charge a LOT faster if you turn it off prior to plugging it in to charge :)
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  3. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

the first charge takes a crazy long time but it seems fine after that
  4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

The first charge takes a long time because you just fired up a new device with a new rom and you can't keep your hands off of it. :D
  5. reverendkjr

reverendkjr Member

I use my HP Touchpad charger and the things charges extremely quickly.
    colchiro likes this.
  6. Aidw

Aidw Member

From around 10-20% I think mines takes around 2 hours to charge with the supplied AC charger. Something must be defective if it takes you six hours, what are you using?
  7. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

Make sure you are actually charging with 2A output and not 1.2A.
    If you are charging via your computer and usb cable its gonna be slllllow.

Try different usb cables. Sometimes those 10 cents usb cables from amazon don't work too well.
  8. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

Do you get full battery notification icon ?
  9. brianrx74

brianrx74 Member

My N7 also only takes a couple hours to charge from 10%. I find that acceptable given the charging method and the battery size.
  10. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Anyone using a 6' cable with no problems? Bought a couple for 5 bucks off Amazon with over 1000 positive reviews. Haven't opened them yet.
  11. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I charge mine with my HP Touchpad cable all the time.

I'm going to wreck the usb connector from accidentally yanking it out from the short cord. I think I've done that 3x already and hardly ever use it.
  12. dportal2006

dportal2006 Well-Known Member

Never mind I just saw that the charger I was using only had an output of 1A. It is just that the charger that comes with tablet is so short that I have been using my cell phone charger. I'm just going to buy a bigger cable on Amazon.
  13. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

I think we've all been there once or twice.
    Glad you got it worked out!
  14. doverbey

doverbey Member

Short charging cord follow-up questions: (the short cord is driving me CRAZY! WHYYYY do they do that???) Could someone please suggest a specific longer cord to buy that will work reliably. I don't know what to look for when shopping for one (and I don't care how much it costs; I just don't want to fool around with something that doesn't work). This discussion concerns me about just picking something kind of randomly. I'm assuming we're talking about a (longer) microUSB cable to use with the adapter that comes with the Nexus 7?
  15. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 Active Member

I'm using a 6' microUSB to USB cord to charge and it works fine, though probably a bit slower than a shorter cord would be.
  16. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 Active Member

This is the 6' cord that I purchased from Amazon. Looks like the current lowest price seller, 'Digital Center' ships from Hong Kong (so shipping might be very slow). I bought mine from Amamax who ships from Texas and received it in one week.
  17. Jay Aristide

Jay Aristide Well-Known Member

Look for USB2.0 or 3.0, make it as short as you can stand, and - in general - the thicker the better.