Why does it take so long to email a pic from my phone?Support

1. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

Not really complaining as much as just wondering.

I use my phone tethering to surf the web and play World of Warcraft and see absolutely no difference in bandwidth related performance, yet I took a picture with the camera today and sent it via email and it took (without actually timing it) what seemed like 5 minutes to send the file. :confused:

..and I am not talking time to get the pic in the email I sent it to, but the time the little recycle looking symbol was on the screen at the top as it was sending it .

Advertisement
    :
  2. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I have been sending 3 to an email lately and noticed the slow sending as well. I think it's actually the side processing used to go through a POP3 account.

Gmail seemed much faster for me, but I'm ok with letting it background process - as long as they don't hang too long.

Course, the other thing to remember is each image off it is like 800k so I'm sending 2.5MB each time I do that...
  3. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

Yeah the pics do default quite large, I might need to adjust the settings for that.
  4. zcarman

Yep, I just ran speedtest on mine and it's uploading at 60kbps so a normal email (800k) should be about 10-15 seconds - plus data interrupt, times 3 for what I'm doing...

Seems like about 2 minutes or so... :)
  5. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

This is not a solution as much as an alternative, but I've been "sharing" my photos lately to my own Picasa account -- e.g. If I need to snap a pic of something and post on Craigslist. The uploader works pretty well, and if I have a wifi connection, it's super fast.
  6. zcarman

Good alternative decalex...

Wifi also makes uploading emails 100x faster from here as well. I'm only in a good to fair coverage area and in a cement warehouse, so I'll take what they can give me for data here.

If it got really bad, I can get an Airave here and rout through that as well.
  7. Robbzilla

Robbzilla Member

Remember, a 3MP photo is pretty big. Depending on what you're doing, you might want to scale it down. a 3MP pic is 2048
  8. pattonthegen

pattonthegen Well-Known Member

How do you change the size of the pic when you take it with your phone?