• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does my phone do this to me?

OK - I posted about this in the Tethering thread, but I'll write about it again.

This has happened to me SEVERAL TIMES. Usually waiting a few hours, and rebooting several times, fixes it.

NEXT TO the X with the zero bars highlighted (your 'reception bars'), Do you have the picture of the Target? Or not? It's just to the left of your bars, typically...
(edit: If you DO have the picture of the target next to your empty bars, WAIT with your Eris on the lock screen. The bars will appear eventually! If you try to unlock the phone too quickly, you might run into trouble!)

If you don't have the picture of the target, your phone and the tower are NOT EVEN ADDRESSING one another. In other words, you're NOT on the Verizon network. Either you had VERY bad reception at boot (which hasn't been proven to do this), there is a flaw in the antennae of our phones, or you got kicked off the Verizon network temporary (like I contend that I did).

I used PDANet for hours several times, and when rebooting my phone RIGHT after using lots of bandwidth, I got this problem. The other night it happened so badly and for so many hours that I had to hard reset my phone. Even on the phone with Customer Service, the lady had to 'force through' my *228 (and get a manager to do it after 5 tries). If you're using tons of bandwidth, perhaps your account is getting flagged?

Otherwise, I only had this happen once. I kept using ES File Manager to uninstall random apps, and assumed it was those things causing the problem.

But with no network, ALL of the native apps force close. You have to be connected to a tower, or all of those apps that have to have 'a network' (not "mobile network" for data, just the standard talk-on-the-phone network) will force close.

Your Eris just went from an iPhone to an iPod.

Keep rebooting. If it doesn't work, Settings > Security > Factory data reset.

Make sure you save all your dirty MMS pictures from your girlfriend that are still in your Messages program, to your SD Card first. I'd find some WiFi and make sure my Google Contacts are synced (unless they already are, then you're all set).

I had to do this. Lost all my scenes. I was mad. But now I don't reboot my phone subsequent to tons of data. And I only reboot it during the day when I know I can go to a Verizon store and bitch!

Upvote 0
OK - I posted about this in the Tethering thread, but I'll write about it again.

This has happened to me SEVERAL TIMES. Usually waiting a few hours, and rebooting several times, fixes it.

NEXT TO the X with the zero bars highlighted (your 'reception bars'), Do you have the picture of the Target? Or not? It's just to the left of your bars, typically...
(edit: If you DO have the picture of the target next to your empty bars, WAIT with your Eris on the lock screen. The bars will appear eventually! If you try to unlock the phone too quickly, you might run into trouble!)

If you don't have the picture of the target, your phone and the tower are NOT EVEN ADDRESSING one another. In other words, you're NOT on the Verizon network. Either you had VERY bad reception at boot (which hasn't been proven to do this), there is a flaw in the antennae of our phones, or you got kicked off the Verizon network temporary (like I contend that I did).

I used PDANet for hours several times, and when rebooting my phone RIGHT after using lots of bandwidth, I got this problem. The other night it happened so badly and for so many hours that I had to hard reset my phone. Even on the phone with Customer Service, the lady had to 'force through' my *228 (and get a manager to do it after 5 tries). If you're using tons of bandwidth, perhaps your account is getting flagged?

Otherwise, I only had this happen once. I kept using ES File Manager to uninstall random apps, and assumed it was those things causing the problem.

But with no network, ALL of the native apps force close. You have to be connected to a tower, or all of those apps that have to have 'a network' (not "mobile network" for data, just the standard talk-on-the-phone network) will force close.

Your Eris just went from an iPhone to an iPod.

Keep rebooting. If it doesn't work, Settings > Security > Factory data reset.

Make sure you save all your dirty MMS pictures from your girlfriend that are still in your Messages program, to your SD Card first. I'd find some WiFi and make sure my Google Contacts are synced (unless they already are, then you're all set).

I had to do this. Lost all my scenes. I was mad. But now I don't reboot my phone subsequent to tons of data. And I only reboot it during the day when I know I can go to a Verizon store and bitch!

Thanks for the tip! I do use a lot of bandwidth sometimes. :X

Upvote 0
I could be completely off base with your problem but from what i've seen task killer is great for memory management but not condusive with linux. The phone will reboot with the previously running programs and the apps that are on your home screens. If you kill all tasks and reboot before linux has a chance to re-initialize all the htc and android processes that were ended the phone will not boot properly. I have found that you should never kill a task you did'nt initiate yourself. Since following that rule I have had no problems but that could be dumb luck. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I could be completely off base with your problem but from what i've seen task killer is great for memory management but not condusive with linux. The phone will reboot with the previously running programs and the apps that are on your home screens. If you kill all tasks and reboot before linux has a chance to re-initialize all the htc and android processes that were ended the phone will not boot properly. I have found that you should never kill a task you did'nt initiate yourself. Since following that rule I have had no problems but that could be dumb luck. Hope this helps.

ATK doesn't show those apps...Does it?

Upvote 0
ATK doesn't show those apps...Does it?

It does kill the htc sense ui and the com.htc.providersettings which would explain the loss of carrier. If you are using the app directly it shows them, if you are using the tk taskbar it shows a solid black icon for sense and a page with a gear in front of it for provider settings. For some reason the task bar blacks out the mail and sense applications.

Upvote 0
It does kill the htc sense ui and the com.htc.providersettings which would explain the loss of carrier. If you are using the app directly it shows them, if you are using the tk taskbar it shows a solid black icon for sense and a page with a gear in front of it for provider settings. For some reason the task bar blacks out the mail and sense applications.

It doesn't show HTC Sense as an app to kill though.

Upvote 0
I'm having a lot of issues with my phone randomly rebooting. But here is the interesting thing: it only happens when I'm near my home. I live next to a ski resort and work on the patrol there. When I go up onto the mountain, it will reboot every 5, 10, maybe 15 minutes. But when I'm at work, not near home, it will go all day without the reboot. Anyone have any idea why it would do this in one area and not another? Oh, and my wife's Eris does it as well, so I don't think it is something wrong with just my phone.

Upvote 0
I'm having a lot of issues with my phone randomly rebooting. But here is the interesting thing: it only happens when I'm near my home. I live next to a ski resort and work on the patrol there. When I go up onto the mountain, it will reboot every 5, 10, maybe 15 minutes. But when I'm at work, not near home, it will go all day without the reboot. Anyone have any idea why it would do this in one area and not another? Oh, and my wife's Eris does it as well, so I don't think it is something wrong with just my phone.

My first thoughts would be about the temperatures that you are trying to operate the phone in. A quick search of the user manual shows:

Operating
Temperature
Range

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen to my phone. I also had goole.gapps force close. What I did was remove the cache from all the google apps (you will have to re-enter your info) and I also had ATK and removed that. All seems to be fine. But I will let you know if it happens again.

Can you explain this process? I'm still having issues when I install Seesmic, Twidroid -- kills my phone radio on reboot. Uninstall them and it come back to life. I guess I wasn't meant to tweet!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones