Why does my phone roam sometimes when I'm in my coverage area?

Last Updated:

1. suedinaz

suedinaz Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, this is driving me crazy. The same thing happened on my Hero, so it's Sprint related. I am a homebody. I rarely leave my house. When I do, I'm never more than 3 miles from home. My entire surrounding area is in Sprints coverage area. Ninety-eight percent of the time I'm steadily on the 3G. Every now and then though, while still at home, my phone changes over to roaming for no rhyme or reason! I know Sprint won't throw a hissy fit over the calls and data (unless over the 300mb), but why is my phone doing this? I just checked my account and it says I've used 7760kb of data while roaming. Confused. Anyone else have this issue?

Advertisement
  2. hawkijustin

hawkijustin Well-Known Member

change your network from automatic to sprint only so it doesnt roam if you dont want to roam. i know when i got my evo i got better signal in my house then my blackberry curve 8530 got

3. suedinaz

suedinaz Active Member This Topic's Starter

I definitely get a better signal on my Evo than I did on my Hero! I steadily get 4 bars, whereas on my Hero I was lucky to get 1 or 2. Still confused though why the phone will switch from 3g to roaming when I haven't even moved from the couch let alone the coverage area.

4. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

This could be part of the incompatibility issue I was told about between the EVO and Motorola built Sprint towers. This constant searching causes the phone to eat gobs of battery power.

5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

To answer the OP. I love Sprint and almost always works well for me. Still, the signal itself is just inconsistent. I watch mine at home, and seem to be a bit close to a tower edge.

Sprint signal just drops a bit for moments and the phone then grabs the Verizon signal. Not usually for long, never longer than a couple of minutes. Happens at home at least once an hour. Go to cafe 3 blocks away, never happens.

But never a deal, not really causes any problems.

6. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Well-Known Member

At least we have a backup signal to go to (good for Verizon too BTW) and we aren't stuck with ATT where they just lose signal and calls all the time...ESPECIALLY if they hold the phone incorrectly...