• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does my wifi signal strength suck?

jamst149

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
The wifi indicator sometimes only show 1bar. Meanwhile i sitting maybe 10 feet away from my modem/router. Speedtest shows me getting 3200 kbps down and 1200 kbps up.

With two bars I am getting 8700 down and 2400 up.

I never get 3 bars.

Any analysis of these numbers? Are they typical? Anything I can do to achieve 3 bars?

Yeah, "bars" are a very vague idea of signal strength. They are only for general quick looks at whether you have signal or not. I agree that the radios in this phone are not particularly good as I have less wifi and wimax signal than other similar devices in the same room. It would be nice if software fixes it but I get the feeling that you will run into more battery issues then. Everything with these cutting edge devices is a thin line between performance and battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones