Why does Opera mobile need camera use?

1. The Smasher

The Smasher Member

The title says it all. I recently bought a Motorola Atrix 4g with Android 2.3 and the stock browser. The browser has too many problems for me to use, so I was going to try Opera Mobile to see if it fit my security needs, but I didn't know why it needed permission to use the camera. Can anyone help me? Your answer is much appreciated.

Advertisement
    :
  2. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

Have you considered Opera Mini instead? It has a much smaller permission list and is very functional.

According to this google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q="op...ra&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&tbs=li:1
    there is "Support for camera use in the browser."

Looking through Opera Mobile's settings menu I see "Clear camera permissions" as an option.

Further googling indicates that it's for web apps to get access to the camera:
    Playing with HTML5 video & getUserMedia support - Dev.Opera

Opera Developer News - Developer Relations team blog - Posts tagged by "camera".
    Over the years I've gotten comfortable trusting Opera and they haven't let me down, but it's certainly worth checking up on things like this. While there's certainly the opportunity for abuse, they describe legitimate uses.

I imagine the intent here is for online video chat web apps.
    The Smasher likes this.
  3. The Smasher

The Smasher Member

I was thinking about opera mini, but a test that I was using to decide which browser to use indicated that it didn't handle java well. I may use both; mini for most of the time, and mobile when mini is incompatible. Here is the site that contains the comparison.

Rendering and Computational Performance : The Great Android Browser Face-Off

I had never used Opera, I have normally been using Firefox so I wasn't familiar with the level of trust I should give.

Thank you very much for the information.
  4. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Don't trust that just cause an app doesn't ask, doesn't mean it can't access your camera.

All forward facing camera's on tablets n phones on mine have a piece of tape over the lense until needed.
  5. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

This is how I roll...not because of permissions, it just seems appropriate to use the smallest tool for the job on my low-spec phone.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Then why not go with Firefox for Android?