Why does POP3 suck on droid?

Last Updated:

1. saltysteve

saltysteve Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why does POP3 suck on droid?

why did motorola release a pda that has such a problem with simple emails???? Its not like theres even pictures or detail in the email. whats the problem? i hate buying the latest and greatest and discovering its not as good as years ago!!

even my gmail doesnt alert me half the time when i have mail. :eek:

blackberry was alot slower but a million times faster with important mail.

Advertisement
  2. jacwashere7

jacwashere7 Well-Known Member

I use aim mail and i have no problem. I seldom send files from one email to another and I get them immediately. I use three seperate accounts on my Droid and have to problem. Aim pop3, Gmail, and Exchange account handled my the app Touchdown.

3. ShogunOfDenver

ShogunOfDenver New Member

I agree... I have had no issues receiving Hotmail emails on my MotoDroid. Check the "Email check frequency" setting on your phone and set it to what you prefer.

tap your email folder to bring up your inbox --> menu button --> account settings --> Email check frequency

Personally, my Hotmail account is my main email, but in only have it checked every 30 minutes. if you set it to 5 minutes it will notify you constantly when you dont delete your email off of the server.

Hope this helps.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Leave it to a guy who calls himself "saltysteve" to title a post "Why does POP3 suck on droid?". :rolleyes: Unbelievable.

Anywho...

Instead of whining and moaning, learn to state the issue(s) and wait for the solutions. I have SIX POP3 accounts that work flawlessly on the DROID. But early on, I decided I didn't like the stock Gmail and Email apps, so I dumped them and installed K-9 Mail. Better features, reliable, all my account under one roof, etc., etc...

I hope this help. Maybe then, your POP3 won't suck anymore. ;)

5. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

If I can make a recommendation... Set up your POP3 accounts through the web instance of gmail and not the phone. You can automatically apply labels to these emails to make them stand apart from the rest of your gmail emails and set it up so when you respond it goes out with the other domain name.

Work email comes in with a "Work Label" and if I reply to any email that comes in to my work email, it uses my works domain name. Fairly easy to set up.

6. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member

K-9 still uses the same email "engine". It just happens to suck less than the default but it still sucks too. Google will fix POP3....................one day.

7. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Probably for the same reasons that new users start new threads on topics that have been covered "ad nauseum", and their resolutions already discovered. Which are probably the same reasons that unfinished, 1st gen products have "issues"...people don't spend enough time researching and testing, and are always in a rush.

However I agree that it is a shame to have both the native Exchange and POP3 clients with glaring issues on release.

8. messenger13

How is it using the same "engine" when I removed Gmail's .apk and .odex files?

9. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Pop3 mail works fine on mine, I've opened attachments in e-mail, pictures, etc.

10. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

saltysteve & Joe are the same guy. Joe made him up as an alter ego out of boredom while waiting for 2.1 to come out. :p

11. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Sheesh! SaltyJoe, pop3 is teh secks!

12. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

i receive email almost instantly with k9..received mail alright with stock app..but my problem with both is i cant send email 99 percent of the time i get errors sending from aol email to any other kind of email i can send to aol email fine

13. colnago

Someone, from either Motorola or Google or Verizon set the release date, well before the hardware/software got off the drawing board. Engineers and developers have the unfortunate task of delivering the product by the preset date. Given that marketing $$$ was already spent, alot in the Droid's case, management will rarely, if ever, push back that date irregardless of the products "rediness".

Its not the first time its happened "in business", nor will it be the last. I do commend Nokia for their handling of thier n900 release. It was delayed "en mass", and some problematic early release units made it to market, but the larger release was delayed to resolve some issues from what I understand. I'm sure it would be different however if it were more of a mainstream release vs. the testbed that its being managed as.

14. colnago

Something wrong w/AOL servers, or your AOL SMTP settings?

15. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

Messanger13 says "...But early on, I decided I didn't like the stock Gmail and Email apps..." Isn"t this what Saltysteve said?

I agree with Salty, the email ap sucks, I use the web version of GMAIL. You would have thought since the OS and email developers worked for the same company things would be different.

I'll have to check on this K9 thing.

16. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

not sure about aol servers..but i confirmed all my settings several times

17. alostpacket

Think of what Snap and Crackle would say!

[​IMG]

18. messenger13

19. burton71

burton71 Well-Known Member

I have zero problems with exchange and pop3 accounts. :shrug:

20. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

voicemail notification is blinking::::

Hello, 1990 called and they want their POP3 back. sheesh.

21. alostpacket

Yer imap ftw