Why does the alarm clock silence itself?

Last Updated:

1. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anybody know why the alarm clock turns itself off after 10 minutes? This is kind of a problem. I'm very difficult to wake up. I have to set two alarm clocks, and they usually go off for a good 15-20 minutes before my brain even recognizes the sound and wakes me up. I've always been this way.

For some reason, though, I've woken up late several times while using the Droid as one of my clocks. I don't remember ever having woken up to silence the alarm or hit snooze, so I could not figure out why it wasn't going off. Today I noticed a notification in the status bar saying "Alarm silenced after 10 minutes". The alarm turns itself off after going off for 10 minutes, apparently? That's very bad for me :(

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

:eek: Dude! Put the crack pipe DOWN! Now ... walk away. :D

I can't imagine an alarm sounding for 10 minutes and me sleeping through that. And I'm the deepest sleeper in this house.

I'll keep an eye out for an alarm alternative for ya.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I sleep through 2 alarm clocks regularly. I don't know why this is the case, I've had trouble waking up to alarms for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I had to be physically woken up, and in college I had an obscenely loud alarm clock that I had to set up on the other side of the room, and was asked to remove because it bothered my neighbors :( Even that didn't wake me up immediately.

4. benmaltz

benmaltz New Member

This "feature" is absolutely killing me as well. I am a deep sleeper and my alarm needs to be going off for at least 10 minutes before I wake up. I have been an hour late to work four times in the last two weeks because the alarm has automatically silenced itself. I can understand including this option for people who are concerned about forgetting to shut their alarm off while they are out, but to have it as the only option, with no ability to turn off the setting is insanity. Next to making phone calls, the alarm clock is the most important function of my phone (ie. I rely on it to get me to work on time and my job depends on this). I love my Droid and have literally no other complaints about it, but this is such a vital function that I don't see how I can continue relying on this device without a second alarm clock unless they include the ability to deactivate this setting in an upcoming update.

5. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am Well-Known Member

Just as a temporary workaround to this I actually set multiple alarms on my Droid.

6. messenger13

I wonder if the 2.1 alarm clock works differently. I'll test it and report back. If it does, I can provide you with that apk.

7. messenger13

I didn't think about that. I set 3 as well. But that's because I just hit "dismiss" and the next one goes off 15 minutes later. These guys could set 3 alarms 10 minutes apart for a total of 30 minutes of RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

8. benmaltz

benmaltz New Member

I guess that's an option but then I'd be stuck with turning off multiple sets of alarms on the days that I do wake up the first time. It's mindboggling to me that on a phone with the ability to identify music, detect magnetic north, and give turn-by-turn voice directions they've effectively crippled the most basic and important feature next to making calls.

9. benmaltz

benmaltz New Member

Joe, that would be amazing. Thanks! Fingers crossed.

10. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree ..... but turning on multiple alarms is still better than missing that important conference call (or being late for work in general). :D

11. bobo5884

bobo5884 Well-Known Member

Damn man! Go to be earlier or something!

My roomate used to snooze his alarms for almost 2 hours. Not sure if that is better or worse then a solid 30 min of alarms...:D

12. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Try different frequencies as your wake up tone, our hearing changes with age and I've seen different smoke alarms with alternate frequencies for this exact reason.