Why does this happen?General

Last Updated:

1. Skyholder

Skyholder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am constantly finding programs running on my phone, regardless of what I've used. For instance, "Easy tether", which I never use while in town, would come up as "running". "Where's my droid", which have not used since installing 2 months ago... or "Voice dialer? What makes things run, when they haven't been used?
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

Couldn't tell you the technicalities behind it, but it is normal for them to do that. They are not necessarily running as much as they are just kept there by OS, warming the bench, in case they are needed. There is no methodology in choosing which apps run like this. I'm just assuming it's due to how they are written (the app).

Skyholder likes this.
  3. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

begin task killer debate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOW!

4. Skyholder

And I use Task killer. And on many occassions I'll catch the "4 aps closed... etc". But sometimes I check it, and there they are. "Warming the bench". But in my attempt to save battery time, I close them. maybe its not helping?

5. jhewit22

jhewit22 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the apps that have to automatically update/refresh information will restart on their own and run in the background also...which is why I believe apps like Amazon MP3 restart on their own all the time, because they search for new songs and whatnot on Amazon for you...even if you've never opened the app.

Skyholder likes this.
  6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Probably not. Many apps will just re-open themselves after you close them (Android assumes they crashed) depending on the service. Sometimes a task killer won't actually kill them at all.

If you are a long term user on this site, you'll know how much of a controversy Task Killers cause, as to whether or not they are useful, or just snake-oil. I personally do not use one. In my experience, they cause more troubles than they are worth (your own mileage may vary). I keep a Task Manager app around, just in case I have an app that just hangs.

Skyholder likes this.
  7. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

They're not running. They're in memory (not using any battery! Whether memory is empty or used, it's using the same amount of battery), but they're not using any system resources at all.

Here's some info from an Android Developer: Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

"A common misunderstanding about Android multitasking is the difference between a process and an application. In Android these are not tightly coupled entities: applications may seem present to the user without an actual process currently running the app; multiple applications may share processes, or one application may make use of multiple processes depending on its needs; the process(es) of an application may be kept around by Android even when that application is not actively doing something.

The fact that you can see an application's process "running" does not mean the application is running or doing anything."

As for saving battery using a task killer, consider this:
    1. These "running" apps aren't using any battery power. At all.
    2. Using the Task Killer triggers your processor, which uses battery. Some apps will automatically open up again after being killed, which uses the battery. When you decide you want to use those apps again, it takes longer to open--it's using the processor for longer and thus using more battery.

Save the effort. It's not necessary, and the illusion of saving battery is just that--an illusion.

Skyholder likes this.
  8. Skyholder

I knew there was a reason I started coming here!!!
    Thank you all for the insight, and interest.
    I appreciate it.
    Skyholder

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

lol

10. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)

11. smacky

smacky Banned

If you root your Eris, use Ti Backup to remove Amazon MP3 and Visual Voicemail and all those other crapware that start up every time with the phone.

12. Skyholder

I have considered it many times, but I've have no problems thus far, so as the saying goes, "If it aint broke....." But thanks anyway.

13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I just want to remind everyone that we do not allow the sharing, linking, posting, or personal messaging of liscenced apps. Please do not offer, distribute orask someone for liscenced apps, which are in violation of the Forum Rules.

Thanks,
    -Roze-