• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does Verizon require my social security number?

i would call customer service one more time, ask to speak with the manager on duty, and if you get a dead end there; ask for the corporate number and speak with someone above that individual to find out why you need to provide all of that information when you clearly shouldn't.

Agree completely that you should get Verizon to tell you why they need your documentation. But just because they usually would require that doesn't mean they don't have good reasons for requiring it now in your case.

Upvote 0
Agree completely that you should get Verizon to tell you why they need your documentation. But just because they usually would require that doesn't mean they don't have good reasons for requiring it now in your case.

When I was younger and applied for a job, (30+ years ago) filling in the box on the job application for SS# was good enough. But not so today, my wife is a manager at a Fortune 500 company and all employees when hired MUST present thier actual SS card. They make a machine copy and it goes in the employees permanent file. When my daughter whose in college applied for part time jobs in California, had to show her actual SS card before they would hire her.

I'm guessing all this is a result of identity theft being so high on the list of crimes being commited today. Companies are just protecting themselves.

I also think you won't get anyone to actually verbalize the reason they would be asking to see your actual SS card. This in itself could open them up to a possible lawsuit. They will just say they need to see the card and like someone earlier said, that is their right. Sometimes they will look at the situation as, if the customer doesn't want to show the actual card, there must be a reason and it's safer to do without thier business than to get involved in something possibly "shady".

And to the OP, what if I went into a Verizon store and wanted to buy 3 smartphones and I gave them your SS# and they accepted it without question and opened up an account for me. Then after going a couple months without paying the bills I sold the phones and went to another carrier and you start getting billed for the phones I bought including ETFs, overage charges and such.

My suggestion, prove to Verizon you are who you say you are, get your phones and get on with your life. Oh, and Get a replacement SS card. You're going to need it when you retire and want to start collecting SS. But I agree, don't send in originals, physically take them into a SS office so they are never out of your possesion. The following is a copy and paste from the SS website:

All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do, :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
So here's an added twist to this plot. I understand why they need to do a credit check...every carrier does. But I was asked to present my _physical_ Social security card. I have excellent credit, currently have a phone plan with ATT, no fraud on my credit report, etc. I have no idea why they would flag me.

Additionally, I haven't had my actual SocSec card since I was 16. I haven't needed it in 25 yrs. In fact, the SocSec website says "you don't need a card, just the number." and "you shouldn't carry the card with you."

And yet Verizon wireless won't let me start a service with them without this. I had planned to buy to Galaxy s3 phones, family plan with 4GB service, and switching from ATT. You'd think they want my business. But they are making it nearly impossible for me.

(BTW, before someone tells me to just go get a new card, you have to send original documents of your drivers license and birth certificate or passport to the SocSec office...which will take a few weeks. Original documents! ...which is also friggin crazy.)

I've never heard of this before. Anyone else?

You can also walk into your local office and fill out a 3 minute form, present your valid documentation and be mailed a new card within 2 weeks without leaving any original documents. Also this isn't just a credit issue, it also has to do with the many, mostly unknown to the general public regarding the war on terror.

Upvote 0
papajaws. Once you have a hold on your credit application with VZW it has to be resolved by their credit review department. Calling and speaking to customer care, store manager or even calling corporate is not going to get you anywhere. That hold is final until it's been updated with the documents required. Once you fax the info over to the credit review department, a rep will review your social security and drivers license to your credit app and make sure it matches before the update of approval. All transactions with vzw goes through them and their word is final for a yes or no.

The reasons why you might be required to fax in your social can be numerous. 1. someone tried using your social security # and start up an account with vzw but was denied. 2. your social security # doesn't match your legal name. 3. you live in a high fraud area which created a flag. 4. they could have random screening and requiring some people to fax in info. 5. you may have a hold/freeze on your credit file to stop potential identity theft.

Your credit application is alot more than just proving your credit information. It's also approval of your identity. It sounds like you called in to VZW and spoke to telesales who did the credit app for you. Would you want to go to a company that just allowed anybody to call in to create a contract, billing, etc and not go through a complete check to verify the person calling in?

I think the 2 main reasons why you are required to fax it in is either living in a high fraud area or a freeze/hold on your social. Have you ever reported a credit card stolen? Placed a freeze on your credit at some point? You might live in an area that had 1 too many identity theft with vzw and that caused the hold.

You can be upset/frustrated all you want but they are looking out for your privacy and best interest by requiring this information.

Upvote 0
Why do we need your social security number?

Your social security number is not required to place an order online. However, for your protection as well as the protection of Verizon, we are requesting your social security number to insure someone else is not trying to fraudulently place service in your name. If you choose to continue your order without entering your social security number, you may be contacted for additional information before your order can be completed.

That's from Verizon which is bs. They request it to be invasive and soft check your credit report, if any outstanding debt exists than you are denied. Other option is to enter 000000000 into the ssn field, then they ask you to provide a copy of a utility bill and driver licene emailed to Verizon, thwen you're good to go......what a strange company

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Working for different contractors, numerous times I was asked for my social security number for a contractors ID or pass in a building. I would always say no, you have my drivers license with all the information you need. If your system gets hacked, the hacker would get my social security number.

The one time I did give my social security number and fingerprint was a FBI check before I could work at Discover card.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Different carriers, like most businesses, rely upon their own levels of credit checking to confirm payment capability. Some are more invasive, some not so much.
This being a thread over a decade old, does any actually know if Verizon is or isn't still requiring a social security number? A lot of societal changes have occurred since the OP posted their query in 2012 and online privacy has become a bigger issue since that time.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones